To Eat Or Not To Eat?

It was a Saturday afternoon down at the Mungkan River. There were vicious storm clouds rolling in, creeping closer with each gust of wind. The fish had stopped biting. Through the air wafted the smell of dead fish. It started to spit and the campfire dampened as each drop of rain fell.

Jack was a 30 year old man who lived alone on an old cattle station in the bush. He was very muscular and had a long, black beard. Jack loved pig hunting, fishing and spending time outside. The man enjoyed riding quads through the thick, bushy scrub. Jack depended on the land to keep him thriving and he only ate what he caught, killed or found. Jack gained his survival skills by reading magazines when he was stuck inside during the wet season because he was unable to ride his quad in the wet conditions.

Jack had been fishing for five long hours and had only caught two small catfish. Jack was on his last bit of strip bait. He looked down at his watch and saw that it was 2:30am. He could hear the thunder roaring as it crept closer and the lightning danced in the damp, grey storm clouds. Jack’s head spun like a merry-go-round as the thought about what he should do. Should he go home and go hungry or stay and keep trying to catch fish for dinner but risk being stuck at the river? The water in the nearby creek rose as he wondered about what he should do.

Jack had two choices. One was that he could stay and catch fresh fish for dinner. Option two was that he could go home and stay inside, away from the storm. A positive about heading home immediately was that he wouldn’t get bogged in the rising creek that was filling up in the storm. Alternatively, if he went home, he would go hungry.

Jack thought long and hard about which option was best for him. He finally decided to go home because being bogged would destroy his only vehicle. Jack would also be able to go to bed and regenerate his energy that he had used on his long fishing trip. He had a safe trip home and as he drifted off to sleep, he was glad he decided to come home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!