Sarah's Desert Dilemma

It was 3 o’clock in the morning. The desert was pitch black. It felt warm like sunshine. The air smelt dirty, like dust in an old cupboard. There were stars in the sky with the white glowing moon. In the distance could be heard a pack of dingoes howling.

Sarah was a 35 year old archaeologist with shiny, long, black hair. She was thin and fit. She loved to go swimming and fishing at the deep, blue lake across from her house. Sarah had a lot of experience at camping from when she was younger. She was able to take care of herself because she travelled to many remote locations with her work. She enjoyed her job as a teacher.

Sarah had been driving in the desert for hours and felt as tired and slow as a sloth. She just wanted to get to her job. Suddenly, her car stopped. She stepped outside and thought about what she should do. Her thoughts raced.

Sarah had choices to solve her problem but there was good and both sides to each option. She could walk through sand storms and scorching hot, dry country to the desert work site. She considered that although she was determined, she may not find her way and become lost. An alternative was to wait at the car and hope for help to arrive. It might take a long time for someone to come along but she would have shelter and be safe. Finally, she could walk back to the last town she drove through and get help quickly.

Sarah thought long and hard about her choices. She decided to walk back to town. When she arrived it was 6 o’clock at night. Sarah got to a motel and slept. When she woke up she found a mechanic who took her to her car and repaired it. Sarah was happy to be on the road again, safely heading to the job she loved so much.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!