MOON

In the depths of an inky black abyss, Earth rotates lazily on its axis, conversing with other planets as it passes. Though the distance between them may be great, their voices still reach each other in strange high-pitched melodies. Suspended above her shines the moon. She orbits around the earth, showering the inhabitants with glowing ethereal light. As she does so, she plays with the waves, pushing and pulling in a routine dance only familiar to them. Nocturnal creatures of all shapes and sizes slink out of their hideouts. Owls of all kinds swoop through dense forests to the dark sky, soaring past the glittering jewels that guide their way. The moonlight serves as a signal – it is time for many to begin the hunt for nourishment.

In a sea of cement and suburban life, void of forest and animals alike, the moon greets her moonchildren. A lone girl dances along a rooftop, tears pooling in her chocolate eyes, gently caressing her cheek as they fall and hit the ground without making a sound. Despite her lonely crying, the girl smiles up as she sees the moon. The moon responds with a gentle one of her own, hoping to offer even a sliver of comfort to her. After lingering a moment later, she continues her path, stopping by a new set of eyes in a new country. Here there are multiple eyes searching the universe. A group of several young men - boys really - whisper to each other, pointing at different constellations that map the night sky. Their eyes glow in the full moonlight, alight with wonder. One boy appears particularly euphoric as he laughs at something one of his companions said. Her little moonchildren she has grown deeply fond of.

Two lovers gaze at the moon, split apart by thousands of kilometres. And yet they share this same connection. The bond strong and unbreakable, even with the growing number of nights away from each other’s embrace. Their love almost tangible to the world. Further north where the winds are harsh and brittle, snow blankets the grass three feet deep. Among jagged rocks comes the call of the wild. Loud rambunctious howling disrupts the otherwise peaceful night, sending a flock of startled birds sky high. The moon giggles at the sight as the howl sets off a chain reaction, more wolves raising their voices to join in. Panicked hares sprint for their lives, tearing up the pristine crystals, leaving a blend of murky white and brown in their wake. Some make it to their burrows, others not so lucky.

The moon returns her focus to her surroundings. A comet shoots passed her, travelling at an astronomical speed. Shades of blue, pink, and purple trail behind it, made of stardust that twinkle brightly amongst the stars. She watches a moment longer before it fizzles out of sight. Across from her, the sun makes his round like her, illuminating the opposite side of Earth with dazzling warmth. The sight is breathtaking.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!