Time To Shine

Here I am running away from guards of a palace on a mild autumn day. How did I get here? Well, here is how…

It all started a few days back when I was in my hometown. My town isn’t the richest of towns. My dad is the leader of this town. Nobody pays attention to me. The only reason the town’s people know me is because I am a great Chef. I cook every day for ALL THE people that live in this town.

We all live in huts that are not very warm. We spend Winter nights feeling very cold.
I get ready to cook for breakfast, I put on my old ripped clothes and tie my shoelaces that can barely be tied. I think I can do better than just cook for my village. I can find a job so I can get paid and all the money can go to the village to make life better. My father will never allow me to do that, but what would happen if he didn’t know?

I collect everything that I need and put it in a bag and I use the emergency town money to buy tickets to catch a plane. I am determined to become ‘Chef of the Palace’. The tryouts are tomorrow at 12:00noon.
I run through the rocky path past the woods and see the airport. At the last minute, I buy a ticket to Melbourne. When I finally arrive, it is a sunny bright place with a lot of people and wildlife. I am very excited. It is my Time to Shine!

I am ready to enter the Gold and Silver Palace of Wonder and Excitement.
“Are you Gem”? asks the leader of the Palace
“Yes I am” I replied.
“You must cook soup and I have to like it and you will get paid $100 dollars a day”.
I get to work under pressure. When I am finished the leader says in a loud voice “You are in.” I could not believe I got the job so easily. I was so happy but I knew I needed to get some sleep.

No one could resist my food except for one person… the head guard. He did not like my food or me, so he tried to ruin every dish I made! The palace people wanted me fired the food got so bad. I refused to leave…. and that is when the trouble started.

Running through the hall, I dodged the guards but they were still on my tail. I ran past the river and past all the people down the busy road. Through the alleyway to get away as quick as I could.
Somehow, I managed to escape the guards and caught a plane home safely. I put the $100 I was given for cooking next to my mum and dad’s bed and I fall asleep feeling good, but in the morning….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!