Maya's Journey

Maya walked towards the run-down pizza place, fishing out some cash from her purse. She pushed open the double doors and walked up to the counter, money in hand.
Someone came to take her order, and said, “What can I get you?”
“Hi, can I get a small barbecue chicken pizza with no cheese, extra onion and added jalapenos?”
“Oh. Of course. Right this way,” he said with an air as if he was talking to royalty.
He opened the door that led behind the counter and gestured for Maya to follow him.
She said confusedly, “Uh, sorry?”
“Oh, sorry. Right this way, Madam.”
Madam? Since when was she a Madam? Still confused, but now intrigued, she followed him behind the counter and into the kitchens. They walked past a row of stoves, and then stopped in front of a door that was behind a particularly large stove.
The cashier pulled a rusty key from his pocket and turned it in the door. It swung open with a creak and he stepped through, followed by Maya.
Then she saw something truly beautiful.
A sea of beautiful, luscious green. There were hills, trees, rivers and creatures of all sorts.
“What is this place?” she asked.
“You’ll see,” he said, grinning.
He walked towards the beautiful landscape, and Maya followed.
Before they knew it, they were standing in front of a large tree, decorated with fruits.
“What are we doing here?” Maya asked him.
“She requested that you be here, so that she can meet you.”
“Who’s she?” Maya asked, more confused.
But somehow, he’d disappeared completely.
“What in the world…” she said.
Then she heard footsteps, and she spun around to see a woman in a beautiful pink dress.
“Hello, Maya,” she said gracefully.
“Uh, hi... so, um, are you the lady that the cashier was talking about?”
“I am. So, you know why you’re here?”
“Uh, actually, no.”
“Well, in that case, I should explain. There is a prophecy here, that one day a young girl will show up outside our gates, and finally set us all free.”
“Right. And… what am I setting you free from?”
“You would set us free from a curse put on this land. We are to be stuck here, in this world, forever.”
“And how do I set you free?” Maya asked, feeling nervous.
“You simply had to come here. And now you’ve done just that,” the woman said, smiling.
“So, you’re free now?”
“Yes. All thanks to you. We are very grateful.”
“Oh, no problem. So, should I go?”
“Yes. But, before you leave, I would like to give you this necklace as a token of our appreciation.” She lifted a shining, silver necklace from her neck and placed it around Maya’s.
“Oh, thank you! It’s beautiful!”
“Now, you should get going. Goodbye, Maya,” she said.
“Goodbye!”
And before she knew it, she was back in the old pizza place. She walked through the double doors again, feeling very satisfied with herself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!