Starry Wolf Boy

This same golden shooting star passes by at this very time each year. I always wish on this star, for the one thing I truly want in life: an escape. Although this time, the star's shimmer looks a bit peculiar. The star isn't flying through this spring night's sky in the direction nor pace than the star use to in the past years. Its glimmering shine is growing and filling my eyes with a light that has been giving me false hope for so long. I feel as though the star's warmth is creeping closer as I sit noiselessly on this flowery hill, under the shade of the large, blooming sakura trees.

It's suddenly as clear as a night without the millions of glistening white masses. The star is coming towards me! I scramble up onto my wobbling feet, stumbling on my bruised leg to rush behind one of the trees filled with sakura leaves on their branches. I whimper and cover my head, ducking down into a squat as I hear the star's mass create a powerful sound that booms through the silent darkness. I stay in place, scared to move a muscle as though I would attract a creature of the night. "Maybe I should just go back home," I murmur to no one in particular, shuddering at the thought of my papa's upset expression. A gasp promptly exhales itself from my mouth as I hear the shuffle of pawed feet quickly push up the owner of them.

I weep unostentatiously at the sound of the paws nearing the pink plant I hide behind. My hands involuntarily urge themselves over my mouth as the sniffle of a nose scenting the sensitive air occurs close to my ear. My head turns slightly to have my vision taken by the sight of a male with fluffed up wolf ears sitting atop his head. He has freckles, in the shapes of many stars, and they glow a slight light against his pale skin. His sparkling green eyes were being partially covered by purple-dyed, shoulder-length hair. A petite grin forms on his features as he sees me, "you must be who they were telling me about."

"Me?" my voice quietly lets out between my thin lips as my finger moves to point at my even thinner self.
He sternly nods, standing up to his full height from his previously crouched position, allowing me to notice his big, pawed wolf-like feet. He then sticks out his arm, his clawed fingers splaying out in an offer to take my hand in his.

My mistrusted nature kicks in as I understand what he wants me to do. My body moves on its own accord and backs away slightly to avoid contact. He sighs gently and in slight realisation before the prettiest, white-teethed smile spreads across his face. "You can trust me. I'm here to take you away to a place where he can't hurt you."

Inadvertently, the smallest of simpers appear on my face. I close my eyes for a second, hoping to open them and see my hero's face still smiling at me.

I open my eyes to be in a hospital bed, the male nowhere in sight.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!