A Stranger

A stranger garbed in shades of black entered, the echoing smash of doors being roughly shoved open silencing the previous undertone of conversation. A tense silence begun, as the stranger pulled down his mask and surveyed the tavern; he bared a harsh expression, and the residents of the tavern leered back.
A distant gunshot shattered the silence, and the tavern returned to normalcy. Approaching the bar as the locals returned to their drinks, the stranger came face with the barkeep.
“Well, son, you seem to be in search of something mighty important,” stated the man behind the bar, evidently Oliver himself, “How can I help?”
The mysterious strangers’ eyes tightened, “And how would you know?” he questioned with a suspicious glance and a hand on his belt.
Oliver’s sudden booming laugh startled the man, “Why, your clothes are from very far from this small town,” and suddenly he sobered and his laughter disappeared as quickly as it came “And not many would carry a six-shooter with them. Now, keep your hand off it before we have trouble.”
Oliver meaningfully glanced towards the shotgun hung up behind the bar, and the stranger’s hand flew from the belt holding his gun, as though burnt.
“Now, what’s your name?” Oliver question, all hints of seriousness disappeared beneath a grin “And more importantly, what can we do to help.”
The change of temperament threw the stranger off, as he unwittingly stated the truth.
“I’m called Huey,” the revealed Huey answered, a widening of eyes apparent as he realised his mistake, “I’m here for revenge for my family, against a man called Tom.”
Oliver appeared delighted, but the expression vanished as quick as it appeared, and a grin took its place.
“Why, I can help you,” he declared, “But it’ll cost you.”
Huey leaned forward, the suspicious expression fading away into interest.
“What do you want?” He questioned, desperation flashing through his eyes.
Oliver leaned forward, a victorious expression on his face, and said a singular word.
“Bodies.”

First, the barkeep ordered Huey to take out a local mob-boss.
Oliver smiled and laughed when he heard the news.
Secondly, the barkeep demanded the death of a corrupt sheriff.
Oliver simply grinned.
Finally, the barkeep instructed him to get rid of the detective who was inspecting the murders.
Oliver accepted the news with a nod.
“Well, boy,” Oliver begun as Huey entered the tarvern, “You’ve done everything I asked, so I’ll tell reveal Toms location.”
Huey noticed the lack of residents in the tavern, and then missing shotgun.
The crack of a shotgun above his head let Huey know how close to death he was, and he tackled Oliver to the ground.
Oliver’s face burst into a malicious grin, and exclaimed “Here is Tom, all along!”
Suddenly, the echoing smash of doors revealed the sheriff of the neighbouring town’s arrival.
“Huey and Tom, you are under arrest for suspected murder.” He announced.
Huey at this moment, realised the actions he committed to achieve revenge.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!