The Man In The Line

"Tomorrow is Grandpas birthday" thought Karlin, "we should buy him a present or a cake" he said. Mum turned around and opened her wallet, bringing it closer to her eye to definitely make sure she couldn't see anymore money. Her wallet was getting emptier as the weeks drove past. Mum and Karlin stepped a foot out of the house, getting ready to walk to the shops. Mum always tries to make it fun for Karlin even though they were living a tough life, and as a single mum it was quite hard trying to look after a seven year old boy. "heres our list for today" said mum as her pace of walking was getting slower as she was reading her crinkled shopping list. "bread, milk, eggs and butter" Mum said as she purposely missed out the cake. "what about Grandpas present, we cant forget that" Karlin said in worry. Mum gulped as if she just heard devastating news. "oh yes" she said as if it was a real mistake. Both of them stopped as they were in front of the shops. Mum pulled out her empty wallet and thought about grandpa. Mum and Karlin separated to different sides of the shop. Karlin to the sweet part, and mum to the necessities part. Meanwhile after mum was looking for the cheapest options of foods, as she didnt have much money Karlin jumped over in joy! He was holding a sticky chocolate fudge cake that read "perfect for a celebration" on the front. Mum smiled a nice smile, while on the inside she knew she couldn't afford it. She grabbed the cake of him and walked to the cash register. As she heard the sounds of the five things beep she started to worry. She opened her wallet as the worker rounded up the price, "that comes to a total of $10.50" mum pulled out all of her money and laid it on the bench. "this is only $8" said the worker as she slid the money back. Mum frowned and turned back to Karlin, she got onto her knees and explained that she didn't have enough money to buy grandpa something this year. "b-b-but.... mum!" Karlin jittered " we have to get Grandpa something for his birthday, he got me something so we have to give back. "sorry hun" mum said with a frown "not today" mum took her items and placed the cake back. They stepped out of the shops with an empty wallet and semi-full hands. The two walked home in silence, all you could hear was their foot steps sliding across the pavement, and the sound of cars rushing past. Everything was quiet until suddenly something tapped Karlin, they turned around and there was the man that was standing behind them in the line holding the cake Karlin wanted. "here you go buddy" he said "tell your Grandpa i said happy birthday!" "thank you so much said Karlin, "you didn't have to do this" mum said. Then he said, "Wherever there is a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference. Then he walked away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!