The Girl In The Mirror

I've always had a fear of mirrors. I don't know why, and I feel I never will. They just…unsettle me. They stir something deep inside of me, a part of my brain I can't seem to access. Unfortunately, my new bedroom in the house we just moved into has two floor to ceiling, meter wide mirrors as the doors the my wardrobe. I complained, and l asked to switch bedrooms with my younger sister, but she refused. My mum, not wanting to get involved, just told me to 'stay put', and that 'I'm old enough to put up with it. I've been on edge the past few days, mainly due to my fatigue from a few nights of little to no sleep.
My phobia had only gotten worse the past week. l just couldn't help but feel like I was being watched, that someone was waiting in the shadows for the perfect moment to strike. I'd been trying to get out of the house more, to enjoy the serene silence of the bushland we now called our backyard. Although I really appreciated my native walks I couldn't stay out all day in the summer heat, so I was still stuck at home for a considerable amount of time. It didn't help that it was the summer holidays, and my mum wouldn't let me leave the house because of 'stranger danger', even though I'm almost 14. Anyway, that’s besides the point.
Some… weird things had been happening recently. The other day, I couldn’t find my water bottle but I swore I could of seen it in the mirror on the opposite side of the room. Fortunately I found it on my desk a few minutes later, with its reflection and all. The same thing happened with m hairbrush two days ago. Nobody believes me when I tell them what's going on, and I was even considering putting curtains in front of it just to block it from me for a while. But, last night, something terrifying happened. I fell asleep at the usual 9pm, but I woke up in the middle of the night to get some water. I sat up, switched my bedside lamp on, wiped my eyes and looked into the mirror. What I saw has haunted me ever since. When I looked into the mirror, staring directly towards it at 2:58am last night I did not see a reflection of myself as I was. I saw a clone of myself, staring to the left with a sinister smile, frozen. I felt sick to my stomach, my head spinning, almost paralyzed. Almost. I screamed from the bottom of my gut, a grotesque, desperate scream. The scream you would expect to hear before someone left the world. I tried to run out, but I stumbled, hardly able to stand. I reached forward, barely whispering "Help" to my shocked mother, before I passed out.
I've been in the hospital the past 14 hours. I just got surgery for my broken arm and the doctors are seriously considering sending me to a mental hospital. Apparently after I fell asleep last night, I murmured something repeatedly, over and over again-
The girl in the mirror is coming.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!