Unbreakable Bond

Hues of vivid colours exploded across it as strokes of wet paint smeared on it. With her palette covered in paint, a broad beam rose onto the young women’s face. But the ethereal artwork was nothing like her life. Dull tints lived within her. Nothing could express her life better than grief, loss and sorrow. Her heart expressed the most of her, but her artworks described the rest. Her life was exceptional before the incident, the incident that turned Patricia from a cheery contented adolescent into a depressed downhearted one. The distinct girl, with streaks of paint on her hands and on her curly auburn hair that cascaded onto her shoulders, just wasn’t the same after it all happened. The tragedy had left her friend, her best friend, in a serious condition. Lying in a cosy bed in the hospital was Margret, who was in a coma, but doctors doubted she would ever come out of it. Nothing could help her wake up from her deep sleep.
Patricia stared at her masterpiece but still had a sulky look on her shiny face. Something was missing. Everything just wasn’t the same without her amiable friend, Margret, by her side, guiding her through strenuous situations and cheering her in euphoric moments. To Patricia, Margret seemed to be in another world, with her comfort and affection fading away in mid-air by the second. The painting looked amazing but tedious at the same time, with its vibrant colours slowly disappearing.
Then it struck Patricia. Although, the phenomenal painting looked great, Patricia had painted it halfheartedly, with her mind focusing on her poor friend. The grief had begun to stain her heart with misery. How could she possibly live without the support from her best companion?
It wasn’t long before Patricia couldn’t withstand the pain any longer. Within a few more dejected minutes, the depressed girl found herself driving on the asphalt with her foot occasionally slamming the rusty brakes. As cars flew past her, the hospital finally arrived on her left.
Patricia climbed up the long stairs, feeling as though her world was steadily sucking Margret back in, into her world with bliss and joy where they could be together again. Crystal-clear droplets rolled down her cheeks and pattered onto the smooth stairs. But nothing could stop her as she sped up, closer to her dear companion. Opening the cream coloured door was a breath-taking job, as Margret finally seemed to be in the same world as her. Squeezing Margret’s soft hand, Patricia felt closer than ever to her precious friend.
It was then when it all happened. Patricia hesitantly began to slip her hand out of her friend’s, but she stopped as her eyes grew bigger with joy. Margret held tightly onto her friend’s hand. Nothing could pull apart their unbreakable bond. Nothing!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!