Golden Girl

THWACK! The sound of the beat-board echoed around the gymnasium as Evie flew over the vault. She landed, before running over to her friend Miranda and her coach, panting.
“Nice!” Miranda said as Evie guzzled her water.
“Thanks.” Evie replied, still a little out of breath. “Although, you're a lot better.” Evie admired her friend. She was like a big sister.

Evie then walked up to the floor. She started her music. Evie wasn’t very flexible, so the floor was tough. She sprinted into the middle of the floor, hurdling into a round-off. Her feet barely touched the ground before she flung herself into a back-handspring, followed by a full twist. But to her dismay, she only completed half.
“It’s OK, it’s just training. I can improve.” Evie muttered to herself as she walked around the floor.

She silently took a sip of her water before grabbing her bag and leaving.
“Hey, Evie! What’s wrong?” Miranda called as she grabbed her own bag and followed Evie out the door.
Evie looked at the ground.
“It’s just that the Junior Victorian Championship trials are so close, and if I don’t get that full twist…” Evie felt tears in her eyes, but she pushed them away. “I’ve worked so hard, but for what? It won’t make a difference if I don’t get that twist!”
“Hey, I’m sure you’ll get it! Just give it a chance.” Miranda said kindly. “I know you, you never give up.” Miranda jumped on her bike and rode off.

The next practise, Evie arrived early. She warmed up and stretched. She walked to the floor, keeping Miranda’s words in mind. She started her music. She took a deep breath before hurdling into a round-off followed by the back-handspring that she had mastered all those years before. Then the twist. She jumped, then hesitated. A split second later, she fell to the ground, landing hard on her left arm.
At that moment, Miranda walked in. “Evie!” she cried.

A few hours later Evie woke up to find herself in an unfamiliar bed. ‘Where am I?’ she wondered. Then she realised she’d put herself in hospital. Her coach told her that she would be able to compete, if she wanted, but she couldn’t train to prepare. Evie was worried. How could she get the twist now? She was sure to fail.

The day of the competition came in a flash, and soon Evie was standing with Miranda, their coach, and her other teammates. Her arm wasn’t really sore, but it was still a bit tender. She almost flawlessly completed the vault and bars, and only once stumbled on the beam. Now the floor. Evie started her routine. She was nervous. She ran and launched herself into a round-off, a back-handspring; then the twist. It was as if the whole world stopped to watch her. She jumped into the air. But once again she only completed half.

Evie finished her routine and sat down on the floor.
“Are you OK?” Miranda asked.
“Yeah, I’m fine! I mean, I did a heck of a good job with a sore arm!”
Miranda smiled as she stepped onto the floor for her routine. Evie watched her. She was thankful for her friend, helping her every step of the way. They shared a high 10 as Miranda sat down.
Evie didn’t mind what the results would be anymore. After all, it’s not all about winning, it’s also about how much you have achieved within yourself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!