The Cold Rainy Night

I shivered as the rain pelted down on me. I was in the middle of kellville Park, my favorite spot to sit.
“It’s getting cold, I’d better go” I thought. So I squelched along the river bank . “you look unhappy” I turned around. It was my brother Sam. He was a pain. He jeered as I walked away.
We lived in a tiny cottage on a hill above a flowing river. Luckily there was a bridge. We didn’t have parent.
That night I woke up to the sound of leaves crunching under the weight of a pair of heavy feet. My heart began to palpitate with the dreadful unknown danger. I decided to get up and check who it was.
I got a flaming torch and tiptoed to the front door, holding my breath and opened the door. I looked up into the eye of a giant-sized cyclops. It grunted. It was wearing a pair of seaweed color ripped pants with a tuft of hair on top of its head. Before I knew it I had dropped the torch and fled. "No wonder," I thought as I crouched behind a rose bush, "I always felt the ground banging when I was sleeping". It couldn't be worse. The house was now on fire, because of my torch. Suppose Sam must've escaped. He's old enough now. I peeked out of the branches and watched as the cyclops slowly turned its head towards my hiding spot. I hoped it couldn't read my mind, or outrun me. I darted to the gate, but the cyclops reached out to pick me up. I dodged to the left and jumped onto its arm, started running to the head. The other arm was reaching out for me, but I ran faster, around and around I went. The cyclops was tangled with itself.
While it was trying to untangle, I leaped and landed with a soft thud! I had to act quick! I ran down the grassy hill and over the bridge. I had some money in my pocket, which was lucky. Before turning away, I shot a glance back at my home, which was now a burning fireball with a tall tangled shadow in front of it, the cyclops. I didn't hesitate a bit. I rushed into the woods beyond the bridge and waited a few seconds as my eyes adjusted to the total darkness. I kept running. The owls were hooting softly, the light of their eyes guided me. I ran as fast as I could, tying to dodge big fallen branches which could possible be snakes. Long sticky cobwebs always hit me in the face. I didn't care at all. I was running, running to safety.
But, where would be safe? With no more attacking cyclops or running in the jungles? After so many years, fighting alone. I kept running,through the total now silent forest, until, finally, I smelled the saltish smell of the sea.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!