Stalemate

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

Two men in gold embroidered, professional suits walked towards each other. They stopped at a round table. On the round table was a black and white chequered chess board. The both promptly sat down and started the match.

The first man was a tall and slim fellow. He was young and full of hair; he could even read minds. The first man moved a pawn two spaces forward. The second man was a short and plump fellow. He was bald and old and was rumoured to be able to predict the future. The second man moved a knight to counter the pawn.

Every time the first man moved, the second man could predict his future move. However every time the second man moved, the first man would read his strategies. The two men were equal both on skill and intelligence.

Pawns were dropping like flies left right and centre. The number of pieces were getting lower and lower every minute. Finally, all on the pawns had been removed with lone bishops and rooks getting removed as well.

Sweat rolled down both men’s foreheads. Both were getting visibly annoyed about how the game was turning out. The first man breathed heavily and his heart was thumping like a drum. The second man was staring intensely at the board as if he was trying to shoot a laser at it.

The men were now down to their last pieces. Stray pieces lay dotted around the board. A big crowd gathered around the two men. The crowd stood silent, spectating the match. They all knew the match would be down to the wire.

The two men were shocked at each other. They had always won in 10 moves or less. Their counterpart was taking more time than usual to beat. As they both moved towards finishing the game, the third last piece was taken. Stalemate…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!