Happiness Comes With A Price

I tick all the boxes for the happiness criteria.
I have a home with a working heater and air conditioner. With multiple beds and blankets that give me comfort.
I have access to fresh water sources and clean food.
I come from a loving family that is not troubled with money issues.
I have a wide range of friends that all care for me and I for them.
I have access to entertainment whenever I desire it.
I live with beautiful scenery.
Not all people have these things.
And I am truly grateful for all of these things. I really am. I am not a liar.
And I do feel happy, I promise you I do.
But I do not always feel happy. The feeling is not always there.
It will sometimes escape my grasp, and I have to follow it until I grab it by its neck.
I do not know why this happens or why it happens so often.
Well, sometimes I do know why. The loud noises, the looks, the whispers, the ignorance, the esteem. It gets too much for my happiness and I have to let it go, I can no longer hold on.
Other times, and weirdly most of the time, I do not know why my happiness runs away.
It is there one moment, bright and shiny and warm.
Then something happens, something that I cannot identify.
And my happiness is gone with a flash, I didn’t even see it jump out of my palm and rush away before I can spot it.
At those moments, I don’t bother tailing it.
It will only come back once my sadness and anger have finished feeding on my emptiness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!