Two Worlds; A Cats Tale

Finalist in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

Once, I heard somewhere that changes can happen, good or bad. This year, there was a change. A very, very big change. Before this `change’, things where quite normal, humans rushing round early in the morning, packing things hurriedly into bags, quickly doing fancy hairstyles and sometimes even crashing into each other in the hallway because they’re always dashing around so much! And then they`d all walk out the big front door saying their goodbye hugs and kisses. The two cars would purr out of the driveway and turn opposite directions. After that, it was just me. I just sat at home mostly doing nothing much. Either sun basking in the large, arched windows or go for neighbourhood stroll. Teasing the dog next door while I’m at it. At nearly sunset, the tired, worn out and slightly scraggly humans stumbled through the door, give me a bump on the head and sit down for a well-deserved rest.
But this year none of that happened. No last-minute rush for a forgotten book, no rush to get to the bathroom first and even no colliding in the hallway! The humans would get about the time I get up and, very slowly, get their morning routine done. And instead of filing out the big front door, they opened a laptop and stared at the screen for at least two hours or so. Every five minutes or less my sun basking hour was disrupted by them as they constantly were giving me cuddles and caresses; occasionally in my personal spots. For once on their faces, instead of seeing the emotions of panic and worry painted on their faces, I saw calm and happiness decorated there. Sometimes they planted new shrubs and vegetation (I figured that out when my outdoor sun spot was covered with itchy, green leaves). Sometimes they would curl up with a book, and me. Other times they would go on walks, occasionally dragging me along too!
It seemed as if their entire world was cast at home. And it wasn’t just this house, it was every single other house down the street as well! There were more smells of the oven, more laughter and hubbub from the front lawn, more free time and relaxation, more conversations and games and more family nights and together time!
All this was never heard or seen of before when times were different. The time of before, when none of this year ever happened.
Once I heard somewhere that changes can happen, good or bad. Well, this year, there was a change for the good. I really learnt a lot from it. More time with my owners, more treats and biscuits, more memories to treasure and more cuddles and strokes on the head. This was the year that I saw the most happiness and calmness in my families’ face as I have never seen before. This year was different. But it was a good different.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!