Vanished


“No, I don’t wanna go to school.”
“I wish I wasn’t here, I wish I would disappear,” I bark into my mothers face.
“You’re going to school!”

I throw myself into the old station wagon; little beads of sweat attack my furious face as the car starts.
I try not to look at mum. To take my mind off the fight, I turn the radio on. ACDC’s ‘Back in black’ comes on.
Mum turns the radio off.
She’s as mad as a raging bull.
Silence hung in the air.
I hear the rattling of the old rusted exhaust pipe as little pieces of metal catapult onto the ground.

We arrive at school.
She only said 2 words… “Get out”
My trembling feet step out and onto the path.
I start shuffling slowly, my head down facing my muddy brown boots.


A few measly minutes later I come to the crossing lady.
“Hi”
She stands there staring at a brand new Porsche drive by, completely ignoring me.
“Um…hello!” I ask again, but with a bit more anger…
No response.
“HELLO” I scream in her pimply face.
Still no response.
What, is the whole world against me? Am I invisible?

At sport, Mr P selects the teams for volley ball.
Everyone is chosen except me.
There was even a team with a player short.







LATER THAT DAY
Busting, I sprint to the boys toilets, down the silent, cruddy art filled corridor.
I make it to the stairs where all the class photos are.
I stare at my innocent little face in the year 5h photo. Shockingly and quite suddenly, my face disappears.
“Eh?”
Stopping in my tracks, I fall down the stairs.
The principle walks out of her office and straight past my wounded body, as if completely ignoring me.

AFTER SCHOOL
I wait for 10 minutes until I finally figure out that mum isn’t going to pick me up.
The long walk home was basically…going to be a long walk home.
“What have I done to deserve this madness?”
Until, all of a sudden the thought came to me. Like a punch in the guts, seriously, I had walked onto the road and a truck was driving through me!?
“Now it all fits together.”
When I had a fight with mum I had wished to disappear.
“Now I’m in deep doggy doodoo.”

Eventually I reach my street.
I walk through the back door and to my bedroom.
Where was my bedroom? It had been replaced with a wall.
By 8 o‘clock it had started to rain outside. I had been sitting there all afternoon wondering just what is going on?
I head to the photo cabinet to find evidence showing me if I still exist.
I pull an album labeled FAMILY from the shelf.
I flip to my favourite family photo.
This favourite family photo is no longer my favourite.
Where am I? I’m supposed to be standing between Mum and Dad.
What am I going to do…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!