Narrative

It was dark in the house, but the light at the top of the stairs made shadows where none should be. Weird. There should have been silence too, but all around us were these tiny creaking sounds, so low I wondered if they were real. Then came a scurry of feet, way too large to be mice. ‘Rats?’ whispered Katy.’ I shook my head and swallowed hard. ‘I don’t think so,’ I muttered. My mouth was dry
I was in need of water so we kept walking around the house trying to find a kitchen or a water source. We found the kitchen and it looked....horrifying.

There was a light bulb in the kitchen. What if we had electricity? I tried to look around the kitchen to see if we could find a switch. Katy exclaimed “I FOUND IT!”. We were both relieved. She pressed the switch and the light started blinking in the whole house. Suddenly, we heard the sound of glass cracking..It was the bulb cracking. It was going to burst anytime and suddenly we heard a big thud coming from upstairs. I saw somebody outside the house as the rain was pouring. We heard a sound of a lady screaming, by the looks of it felt as if somebody was in pain. As our eyes widened in fear we tried to run towards the door but it was locked right in front of us there was death. If we couldn’t go out of this house instantly we would be dead. Katy sat on the ground and started hitting herself while sobbing “I knew it was a bad idea coming here. You were the one who insisted now get us out of here!” She was yelling at me. Why? I didn’t do anything even I’m scared as her “fine you wanna go out right?” I aid while crossing my arms. As I inhale “then let’s split up and look for a way to get out.” “Fine” Katy said as she rolled her eyes and got up off the ground while dusting her clothes. As we walked apart we heard a big thud again and a voice of someone laughing “there’s no way out...” she whispered as if she was right behind us. It gave me chills. I looked at Katy and nodded. We were turning around at the same time. “1....2...3!” We said and turned around breaking the front door which was made out of rotten wood. We fell on the floor as I twisted my ankle while running. I groaned and tried to get up, when I saw a sun ray hitting the house. It was morning! I looked at Katy and she passed out. I slithered to her and looked at her. As my eyes started watering I looked at her “I’m sorry I know it’s my fault I was trying to be popular by going inside the house....please don’t die” I said while sobbing and yelling. Then suddenly I heard a sound of somebody laughing.. it felt familiar.. I looked at the direction the voice was coming from and it was my sister. I wiped my tears “ why are you here?” I said . “Look behind you” she said and as I turned around I saw Katy getting up with a funny face. I was confused and looked at them. “Fine we will explain..it was all a prank.. I was the “ghost” and Katy was just acting” she said as she snickered. “ why did you do this?” I said as I took a wooden stick which was laying next to me and I threw it at her. “ i mean you did that to me,” she said while rolling her eyes. “Fine whatever” I said as I got up and looked at her “will you help me now? Or am I supposed to slither and get to the house” I said as I made a weird face. “ I will take revenge..” I whispered as they helped me and took me to the house.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!