Cactus Island

The petrified land awoke from its horrific night. It seemed prickly, more than usual. This place was called Cactus Island. Visitors seldom travelled to this daunting, unexplored island. Then one day humans happened to come. It wasn’t their intention to stumble upon this place, however the island called to them, giving them the opportunity to face their fears.
Sara, roused awake, feeling insecure and unsettled by her new surroundings. She tried to relax, but instead of having comfort, she was rewarded with spike and needles in her hand! Meanwhile, she wondered how she came here and where she was. Her friends were out of reach. A shiver ran down her spine knowing her situation was stark.
On the ground the dangerous cacti, speckled around her in thick clumps in the sand with no vegetation around it. Sara pointed through the rough sandpaper as she seated anxiously. Everything was prickly as the water squished against the peninsula like sardines in a can. The trees were dull like no one had watered them for years. In the sky everything faded into a colourless and repetitive blanket. Then something unexpected appeared…
Three magical doors became visible from all directions, which could teleport her back, however terrifying obstacles to face were in her way. The first attempt was incurable, hedgehogs were crowding the area like if some special event was occurring. Sara, feeling confident and nervous at the same time, placed her foot towards the first hedgehog. Sweat dripped onto her cool face as she continued bravely. Meanwhile, Strong, fearsome creatures moved around merrily as she realised her shoes were nearly destroyed. As she stopped in horror, the mystic portal slowly fades away.
The other two escape routes shone, reflecting the sun as Sara rested from exhaustion. Trees swiftly gathered towards the next monstrous obstacle. The second attempt was a dreadful mountain which was covered with millions of cacti and a limited amount of smooth surface. After catching her breathe, Sara jumped onto a tiny rock with cactus surrounding it. While she moved on, the mountain rose into the misty air. As her legs reached to the end, her skirt got tangled on a piece of string that another visitor had dropped, leading her to bad luck.
Her mind raced forward thinking her last chance won’t be a success, However she strongly continued the game. The last obstacle had some eerie animals that would haunt Sara all night. The thorny devil lizards crowded the small area as she slowly stepped onto a stone nearby. Her thoughts were endless as she moved towards the shiny portal. She shook like a leaf, as hundredths of deadly creatures strolled in front of the miniature pebble. Surprisingly, her courage made her able to reach the portal. She sprinted towards it when something appalling occurred.
A mysterious creature walked in the direction of a hut which made Sara perplexed. The animal was covering the portal telling the area was occupied and giving the sigh of failure.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!