Quiet Night

Finalist in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

The night is silent, it’s air hard and cold, freezing those who dare surround themselves with the moonlit darkness. Breaking the silence, feet hit the pavement in a powerful rhythm. Stray rocks fly through the air with each step. The runner’s lungs burn and their short ebony hair drips with sweat.
Behind them, dangerous, light footsteps are heard, speeding effortlessly towards their prey. The runner makes a sharp right, tripping slightly on the smooth cement. Despite the hiccup they continue to sprint. Adrenaline and fear motivating them to continue to run mazes around the now asleep town. Making another right, their green eyes widen as they’re met with a tall, looming brick wall. Behind them, their pursuer stops, casting a dark shadow over their prey.
“Ring around the rosy~” A light male voice sings.
The owner of the voice steps closer to the cornered runner. The trapped runner falls to their knees, hot burning liquid prickling in their emerald eyes.
“A pocket full of Posey “The voice continues, gradually getting closer towards the fallen.
“A tissue, a tissue” The man kneels next to them, hand resting on their back in mock comfort.
“They all” His voice becomes softer as he reaches into his coat.
“Fall” A shaky breath is taken by the defeated, and their eyes fall closed, accepting their fate.
“Down” Warm liquid surrounds cool metal as the last syllable escapes softly from the attackers tongue. The fallen released a blood curdling scream, failing to wake the town.
The night goes silent.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!