Keys To Nowhere

The sunlight that streams in my room through the crack of the soft dip curtain wakes me up early and allowed me to hear the very relaxing chirps of birds. Sitting up, I grabbed my book from the table beside my bed. I was in the midst of reading ‘Dead End’ when my phone vibrated. ‘Good morning beautiful, happy fifth anniversary.’ As I read the message from Elijah, I plastered a sweet smile, as sweet as the sunlight that greeted me as I woke.
I stood up and as I opened the door, to be surprised, I saw Elijah draped in his tuxedo, holding a guitar and beginning to sing my favourite song. His bright blue eyes shone with happiness, like a twinkling star. Every word that he spills from his perfectly symmetrical lips is nothing but a gospel. Oh god! I’m so blessed to have a man like him. When he finished the song, he strolled towards me and knelt down. He pulled the ring out of his pocket and popped the question.
“You’re so wonderfully glamorous. Ms. Alandra Collins, can I say something crazy? Will you be my wife? Or can I say something crazier?”
I chuckled and without any hesitation I replied. “Yes! I will.” He got up like a freight jet with tears that shimmered on his cheeks and immediately hugged me tightly.
“I love you so much. Anyways, would you like to visit your mum?”
“Of course! But if we spend the day, we will come back late and I know you don’t like to drive through the isolated countryside at night” I replied.
“That’s fine, go and change your clothes, I’ll wait for you in the car,” I quickly ran towards my bathroom and took a bath.
After about 30 minutes, I rushed outside and hopped into his red Lamborghini.
It’s already 11:45pm and as we are on our way home after we visited my mum, the car stopped and I heard Elijah curse. “We are out of gas, wait for me here, and please don’t go outside the car, okay?”
“Can I just come? It’s too scary here.”
“It’s much scarier outside darling, I’ll come back, I promise.”
After he spilled those words and left, I grabbed my phone and played a game. 30 minutes went by, but Elijah did not arrive yet. I was in the midst of playing when I heard someone humming “Twinkle, twinkle star.” As I turned around, I saw a lady in a dirty white dress - I was so anxious and I could hear my heart yelling out loud.
She continuously hummed and kept walking around the car. As she raised her right hand, a bead of tears gushed down from the corner of my forest eyes when I saw my fiancé’s head. I quickly locked the car’s door. A rusty bonding needle was repeatedly stabbing my heart. The lady laughed and when she raised her left hand, I saw Elijah’s car keys.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!