What Is Humanity?

Finalist in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

A battered old man stumbled through the barren wasteland. Howling winds whipped him to the bone as his skeletal body forced another hard step forward. Torrents of rain soaked him to the bone. “Please don’t do this to me,” John muttered in despair as he tripped over, his sodden blood-soaked jumper ripping off to reveal the three bullet wounds on the side of his chest. There was no more hope in his world now. Dust swirled in the air like a haze of memories as John’s aimless mind wandered to the day it had all started.
*1st memory*
45-year-old nerdy John stared, exhilarated at the complex model of the robot before him. The flashy metal made him gasp excitedly as the robot swiftly manoeuvred a vacuum cleaner, cleaning the dusty creaking paved wooden floor. At that moment, John realised that robots would help maintain order in the future.
*2nd memory*
Bulky ghoulish mechanics marched menacingly into the compact hideout bungalow. Its shiny metal glinted devilishly under the glow of the moon as the computer aimed a bullet at the 70-year-old. John scrambled cowardly out the window as the ruthless robots set the hideout to flames. As he stared out from the shelter of the undergrowth, John knew that this apocalyptic struggle of ‘Might is right’ had definitely helped artificial intelligence gain control over the world.
*3rd memory*
75-year-old John, rapidly darted through the steamy rainforest. Gunshots could be heard in the distance. John had to get away quickly. Otherwise, he tried not to think about it. John tripped as thorny vines spiked him, red blood running out of his wounds untreated. He could not hold off any longer. As the battle moved closer, John fought the inevitable for life or death. A ditch appeared ahead, and John tumbled in. Then, his world blacked out.
*4th memory*
As the sun rose, the first soundings of artillery ran through the steam, signifying the battle was nearing. John braced himself for the battle as he ducked in the shadow of his little hideout. As screams of death were heard outside, John contemplated his fate, wondering if he would strike lucky again and live to tell the tale. His insides jumped out as a bam shook him. Toxic air choked him as the bomb hit at full effect.
*5th memory*
Eight cold eyes glared at John. “Leave him! He will suffer the pain he deserves,” the lead robot spoke menacing words as John huddled, covering his fresh wounds. John sniffled. Humanity and living beings. Why had they all ended at this? Why did life have to be full of cruelty and injustice?
*The darker side of humanity*
As John lay on the wasteland dying, he suddenly realised what had caused this - the sins and the chaos within the lines had made a poor community. Every evil deed done resulted in yet another chance for robots to punish humanity. Humanity is just a virus with shoes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!