When It Wasn’t Me

It was a normal day just like yesterday, and just like yesterday’s yesterday, yeah, I thought as I went to bed. I still wished I was like her… I wished I was like Mia…
When I woke up I felt different. I couldn’t hear my siblings Marcus and Leslie fighting. I smelt different food being cooked. I felt different covers on my bed, but most of all… I could see! I haven’t seen my whole life. I’ve been blind since I was a baby! I took a moment to look around then realised: this was not my house. My house had handles to hold onto to feel my way around, and a balcony, and two storeys. This house had one floor and no hallways. I went in the kitchen and saw Mum, who sounded different. “Oh Mia you’re up early.” “Mum you know I’m Delilah.”
Well I got what I wished for, “I AM Mia… I don’t know how”, I was thinking while walking to school, The walk was filled with beautiful blossoming flowers, and crunchy leaves. I finally arrived and took a moment to appreciate the look of everything, then walked in. I sat down in my class. Reading really wasn’t fun because Mr Adam, my teacher, didn’t believe my story when I explained I was Delilah, really. I couldn’t read the alphabet. I could only read Braille, of course.
I didn’t do much at lunch, just sat and looked around. Me and Mia aren’t friends, she always mocks me by saying “I want to be like you.” I have a terrible life why would someone want to be like me?! I’m blind, I wished I was like her!
I realised when sitting alone as Mia that she really doesn’t have the great life I’d envied. She didn’t have any friends other than me. I looked and saw she only had only one sandwich for lunch which is weird.
After Science I thought if I’m in Mia’s body who’s in mine? Probably Mia. I looked for myself and could only find me because my Mum had described what I looked like to me. I saw me hanging out with my friends. So I asked Mia is that you, I mean, me, I mean Delilah? “No.” whoever it was said. “Then who are you?” I replied.
“I am the Witch of Wishes, I granted your wish and now you must accept it”.
So that’s how it was. I lived as Mia I really wanted to go back but I couldn’t… I asked for this.
“And that was the story of Mia and Delilah any questions?”, I addressed my class during story time.
“Is it real?”, asked my friend, Mia.
The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!