The Voices

The sun had begun to dip its rays below the horizon as a boy ran through the cobblestone paved streets of London. He had to run – to get away from the hordes of those who had succumbed to the voices. The government had called them the ‘Corrupted’. Fitting, the boy thought with a bitter smile as he ducked into a damp alleyway. He had to find somewhere soon, or he was dead.
Just as he was about to turn another corner, he collided headfirst with another person. The boy flinched back as if he had been burned and frantically crawled with his back to the wall.
“Don’t kill me please,” he pleaded.
“Hey, hey,” A sweet, almost melodic voice rang out – a welcome change to the grunts and growls of the Corrupted. “It’s okay, I’m not one of them.”
As the boy’s wary eyes turned to look for the source of the voice, a pale hand had reached out to help him up. “I’m Nicky!” Her unruly blonde curls bounced as she pulled him off the ground. “It’s such a relief to find someone else in this mess.”
“I’m Will,” the boy said with an awkward smile. “Sorry for thinking you were one of the Corrupted.” Nicky gave a good-natured laugh, her small nose crinkling.
“I’m glad I’m not one of them, for sure.” She enthused with a last giggle. “Come on, it’s almost night, and we need to get going before we’re corrupted too.”
‘She’s beautiful,’ he thought.
“Will?” Nicky’s bright smile shook him out of his thoughts. “There’s an abandoned house that I’ve been using as a shelter nearby. We need to hurry.”
Will blinked and returned her smile. “Let’s go.”
As the sun dipped below the horizon, the buildings’ shed their shadows and the distant muttering of the Corrupted echoed throughout the streets.
“This house is actually in good shape,” Will commented as he watched Nicky light the fireplace.
Her blonde locks were more unruly than before, curling this way and that. He reached out a hand to grasp a particularly curly ringlet. Nicky froze, dropping the fire poker.
“W-Will? What are you- “
He gave a smirk, before caressing the golden curl. Nicky’s cheeks coloured a furious crimson. She sprinted up the stairs in a flurry. Will chuckled before dashing after her.
“Up here,” came a quiet voice from the roof. He clambered up. Will gasped as he stared up in wonder. Across the sky was a beautiful splash of stars, prettier than anything he had ever seen before.
“It’s gorgeous,” He breathed after a moment.
Nicky gave him one of her sweet smiles again, before tilting her head gently.
“The voices demand blood Will,” she whispered.
He froze. Searing pain erupted from a knife penetrated into his chest. Will staggered, collapsing to his knees.
“You lied…” he murmured softly, the edges of his vision beginning to darken and blur.
Nicky began to laugh, the sharp sound piercing the air.
“It was never meant to be.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!