Poppy The Fire-Cat

The sunlight shone on Poppy’s bright orange fur, making it glisten. The warm morning brought the singing birds and sleepy housecats out. Poppy emerged from the forest, eager to see her best friend Willow. It had been moons since she had seen the light-brown tabby tom. With the sunlight sparkling in her eyes, she leapt over the large white barrier cheerfully, waiting for Willow to emerge. She waited… and waited… and waited. It was sunset when she finally left to go home to her den. Why wasn’t Willow home? Poppy thought anxiously. Perhaps he was in danger! The thought scared her. He’s defenceless! She knew she had to go after him. It won’t be hard - I know his scent anywhere! But perhaps I should rest and eat first before I head off. Poppy closed her eyes, waiting for sleep to wash over her.
* * *
Willow looked around, terrified at the sight before him. There was a rough, scratchy material under his paws, and there was blood stained onto him. His light brown fur was now red and patchy, his pads scratched and cracked. But worst of all, was what was in front of him. An eagle stood before him, hunger gleaming in its eyes. The huge bird turned away from Willow and stretched its wings out. "It's flying away!" Willow realized. It took off into the sky, leaving it's branch behind. The eagle's wings beat harshly, making a booming noise with every flap. Willow hoped Poppy was okay.
* * *
Poppy dashed through the forest, the wind in her fur as she followed Willow’s scent. Then, she caught a whiff of… eagle! She sprinted faster than ever, in the direction that she was following the trail. The undergrowth never caught her paw, as she knew the forest all too well. Leaves dappled the sunlight as Poppy smelled the eagle’s scent again. It trailed up a tall tree, larger than Poppy had ever climbed. “Willow! Is that you!?” Poppy yowled. It was only a moment before Willow responded with a loud meow. Poppy was terrified. She’d only ever climbed small trees, how was she supposed to scale this?! Poppy braced herself and leapt onto the side of the tree. Her claws hooked onto the stiff, dry wood, and as she put one paw after another, something happened only the stars are capable of. Her pelt turned red, and each breath filled with smoke, as though she was burning from the inside. Poppy rose, just like fire, to the eagle’s nest.
“Poppy?!” Willow meowed.
As Poppy pulled Willow from the tree, she felt the flame in her go out, and as she landed, her pelt returned to its original colour.
“Poppy?” Willow meowed quietly, his small green eyes wide.
“Is this… are you… are you a… fire cat?”
The smoke drifted away, and as poppy looked up to the sky, the clouds parting, she meowed, “Yeah. I guess I am.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!