Unfortunate, Twisted Love


To be obese in Medieval Europe meant that the person was most likely wealthy, and could afford food. This only meant fake love for some, while others were struggling to live on the streets. Duchess Petunia soon discovered how this was so, and how her figure would affect the type of attention drawn to her when riding into the markets on a fine day, where she caught the eye of many. Feeling uncomfortable as though she had been followed for a short while, she spun around to find a pencil-like young man who was on his one knee.

“I know our paths have only just crossed but I knew from first glance that you were my one true love,” the man exclaimed with seemingly believable acting. Petunia was startled by the man, for she had no such idea as to this fine young man’s name. “Prithee, I am most remorseful for mine absurd reaction, but I do not even know thy name!” she replied with a confused expression. She accepted the offering of primrose flowers the young man had stolen. The man convinced her into an immediate marriage and the couple were now betrothed, already arranging wedding preparations.

As the couple said their vows of which spoke of love at first sight and true love. The young couple were now wedded when on a cold, heart breaking night, the recently identified Bartholomew or Bate had snuck out of their bed and set fire to their, not-so-modest home, running away with majority of his wife’s gold. Waking up from her deep slumber only to consume the unpleasant aroma of burning wax, wood and exposing her cold fingertips and toes to the shock of burning stone was Petunia! She launched towards the door only half dressed, to discover that the door was locked, and she was trapped to burn alive!

Petunia launched herself out of the window through the flames of her burning home and attempted to run after Bate but was too puffed almost immediately. She soon started seeing worried looks, turning around to realize she had survived the flames around the window of which she had just leaped through. Her heart ached of utter betrayal. She was not even granted permission for marital combat as the town soon grew suspicious of her escape through the burning house which led to an unfortunate fate.

The next morning, a jury convened before her to elucidate how she was found guilty of witchcraft and was to complete the water test. She was tied by her ankles and thrown into a lake (at her own home as extensive punishment), which, if she lived, she was a witch but if she drowned, she was innocent and was not involved in any witchcraft. She drowned and was declared innocent at her funeral. To this day, her soul is still lingering at her house, and has been craving for revenge for her loss, punishing any couple that has moved in since!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!