The Quest

My mind whizzed. My stomach lurched. There was no way out now. It was time for me to prove myself and do what I came here for. No doubts – just courage. As the howling wind washed over me, a waft of dirt blew in my face. My heart skipped a beat as my quivering hands turned the handle, and the rusted, ramshackle gate creaked opened. The sound echoed as a shiver ran down my spine.

The sky was charcoal black and the only light to be seen was the moonlight. Beads of perspiration ran down my forehead as I looked around me. My chest throbbed in fear, my throat was tight, and my sweaty, clammy palms were clenched tightly. A cacophony of owls hooting erupted as the menacing sound of thunder erupted, leaving my hands trembling like a leaf. In the corner of my eye, a black cat with blazing, emerald eyes passed me as I bit my lip. The faint sound of church bells ringing resonated in the air as the smell of dead, withered flowers from the burials filled my nose. The tall trees loomed over me as I shivered feverishly. Taking a deep breath, I continued my quest, knowing that I could do it. Warily, I walked on the cold, hard ground as my damp shoes squelched with every step I took, leaving a trail of footprints behind me. The blanket of leaves and twigs crunched as my shaking legs walked along.

Unexpectedly, the gate slammed shut as a blood curdling scream rushed out of my mouth. Scared out of my wits, my bottom lip trembled, and I bit the inside of my cheek to stop tears from welling in my eyes. My only nightmare was becoming a reality. Soon, droplets pelted down from the sky as I was becoming soaked from head to toe. Murky, grey clouds sheltered the moon, leaving scarce light. But I had to navigate my way - it was the only way to find the key - the only way to claim victory.

As I tread along, the sound of rustling and footsteps echoed behind me as I darted around, cautiously. There was someone – someone following me. A shadow appeared, but as soon as I turned around, it disappeared, like it was never there. Defiantly, I shook my head, knowing I was imagining things - or was I? For a moment, doubt crept up to my mind, but I brushed of the thoughts and continued.

My eyes drooped as I wearily yawned. As I dragged my feet across, I spotted a glistening object, which glowed in the darkness. There it lay – right in front of my eyes. A wave of triumph washed over me as I picked up the key, with my eyes dilated. Finally, I had succeeded!

Desperate to leave, I headed towards the gate. Just then, I felt a firm grip on my shoulder and turned around. I screamed at the sight.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!