Time Chains

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

Graceful birds soared across the rich blue sky as they warbled their sweet tune. The fragrance of fresh grass drifted around the serene log cabin sitting in the open. Crouched down on the grass was a girl. She gazed out at the tranquil waters, where fish swiftly swam about the commodious lake. Her finger cautiously reached to stroke the fish, but she jerked it away. A crack emerged in the water’s reflection.

Her flawless scenery shattered. The world around her grew silent as a ticking noise blared through her ears. The lake, the fish, the cabin and everything else faded from view. Her eyes gaped with terror as dreadful creatures surrounded her. Each moved in sync, their faces expressing hostility. ‘Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.’ Nearer the clocks moved as her vision grew cloudy. Her eyelids began to sink, chains grasping her as she was engulfed in the darkness.

‘Tick. Tock. Tick Tock.’ Nadia’s eyes shot open, the dingy ceiling greeted her. Goosebumps plagued her bare skin as she lay huddled on the filthy floor. Centuries it had been since the bulky metal bars confined her. Since hefty chains bound her to time. She crawled towards the bars, her vigilant eyes scanning the area. It was clear. Wearily, she held the rusty chains and scraped at it. Her blistered fingers cried in agony but she shunned their pleas.

Perseverance thronged her mind. Even though the chains were resilient, she still attempted to break it. Nadia had lived her life with no boundaries, roaming through the past and future. A time traveller she was. Her peace soon disintegrated as the clocks invaded. Imprisoned she became, as they chained her to time.

She clawed at the chains repetitively, her fingers enveloped in purple blemishes. Exhaustion seeped through her hands, but she had no intention of retarding. Pain stabbed through her thumb as blood leaked like a broken water pipe. A honed fragment of metal pierced her. The chain had chipped, a speck of hope grew inside her. ‘Thud!’ The chain slipped from her hands, striking the ground. The sound echoed, colour drained from her face. She had disturbed the clocks.

Nadia quivered, clenching the metal shard with her damp hands. The ticking sound crept closer as clocks corned the cage. Directly before her was a lofty clock that towered over the rest, with hundreds of wheels spinning like spirals. Chains sprung from the clocks snatching her legs and arms, restraining her every movement. Her piercing shriek rang out as the chains wrapped around her throat, hauling her away. The metal shard hurled from her grasp. Through the bars it flung, heading straight to the center clock.

It penetrated right through the main gear in the clock. The room was blanketed in silence, as all the clocks froze. A deafening sound roared in Nadia’s ears, glass shattering to the floor. She blinked completely benumbed. Moist tears slithered across her cheeks. Broken time chains lay beside her. "I," she sobbed feebly. "i'm free."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!