The Mystery Of Rosedale

Tina remembered the day so well. She and James took a walk along the beach to go for a late night swim.

The children plunged into the warm ocean as they had done many times before. Catching the waves and letting them guide them back to shore was what they enjoyed best.

Today, James ventured deeper into the ocean wanting to catch a larger wave. Soon he became submerged beneath the waves which repeatedly thrashed him around.

Frantically he tried to attract Tina’s attention each time he came to the surface..

If only he had listened to his parents. They had forbidden their children from swimming alone at night.

“Tina!”James called desperately as he managed to rise above the surface.

Tina began to look around anxiously. She could hear James but couldn’t see him.

“James, stop mucking around, it's time to go home.” She shouted looking for any sign of James.
Her palms felt clammy, she knew something was wrong.

Tina decided to call for help. She fumbled to grasp her phone to call the Water Rescue Service (WRS). Beads of sweat dripped down her forehead as she dialed the number. Her throat went dry.

“Hello, what's your problem?” the man asked rudely.

“ I need you to send a person to find my brother lost. In the ocean” she replied frantically..

“Your kidding right kid” the man replied as though she had made it up. ”Don’t waste my time.” and he ended the call.

Tina decided to call her parents who must be overcome with worry by now as they hadn’t come home.

‘Hello Tina, where are you and are you ok?” Tina's mum asked hurriedly.

“We’re at the beach. James is swimming.” Tina replied and explained the situation to her mum.

Tina’s Mum and dad made their way to the beach.Meanwhile, in the ocean James floated on top of the crystal-clear water. He was unable to swim back as he had no more energy.

He spotted the silhouette of a woman swimming towards him.

“Help!”James hollered feeling a rush of energy. He might live after all.

The woman didn’t respond. Silently, she swam towards James. She dragged him back to shore where he found his panic-stricken family. She then vanished just as he was about to thank her.

James’ parents rushed him to hospital. On the noticeboard James spotted something peculiar: a photo of the woman who rescued him...

“Who is this?”he asked the nurse next who was checking his heartbeat.

“That is a picture of a nurse who worked here not too long ago but unfortunately died trying to rescue a person in the ocean,” she replied.

James was taken-back. Could it be true? The person who rescued him was dead?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!