The Furious Dragon

I can see the sun standing tall with pride, high up in the sky. rides take off, people swish their hands in the air, plastering the biggest smile on their faces. Colourful signs directing customers to food stalls. Banners, poster, and signs swaying in the direction the wind leads them.

As I approach the nearby carnival games. My eyes lock on a particular ride. The ‘How to train your dragon ride’. At Dubai Parks and resorts. I line up to give the ride a go. I get onto the conveyer belt. About to get buckled on the ride. I feel my feet rubbing against the conveyer belt. Leaving the bottom of my feet temporarily indented.

Instructed by one of the ride directors, I raise my hands high in the sky. All the passengers waiting for their turn, follow instructions like sheep being herded; sit down, hands up, wait. We wait as we are buckled into harnesses, growing more impatient, excited and nervous as the time draws on.


I can see the ride director signalling the person in charge of the controls. “Three, two, one”. The button turns bight turns bright red. Everyone on the ride is about to have the time of their lives.

The ride jolts as the brakes release and the wheels begin to turn. My body presses up against the safety harnesses as the dragon begins to travel along its track. The wheels clutch against the metal and the seemingly smooth track begins to shake. My heart begins to race, I feel it pump harder against my chest. My mouth feels alone, as my stomach twists and knots with anticipation.

A deafening siren rings out. It cuts through terrified voices. The blaring of the siren echoes in my ears. I feel it vibrate in my skull. The sound bounces inside my head, it seems to never stop. With each reverberation, the sound seems to grow louder and louder.

I can feel my hands start to clutch. Griping on the tail of the dragon. I can feel the ride continuously shake. The voices of terrified people begin to fill the space with fear. The sonorous siren keeps ringing constantly over horrified voices. Legs of those who were buried with doubt dangled underneath the dragons ordinary yet astonishing body. The ride stops shaking, but my hands don’t. It becomes harder to breathe. My heart starts to tremendously pump blood.

Everything and everyone stops. Not a voice or sound is to be heard. All of a sudden the ride starts going backwards. My hand’s grip on the safety harness my body was resting up against.

The silence rapidly transitioned into screams. Screams of pain, horror and relief. We were finally escorted off of the horrifying scene. As I stood back on the conveyer belt my feet were still temporarily indented.“it was a false alarm”, the ride director calmly spread the word, handing a report to the passengers detailing what just happened. A tragic, scaring moment, all happened for nothing.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!