Lost


Melan stood at the end of the pier, holding his umbrella while looking at the bright orange horizon. He opened his arms and tried to embrace the evening sunset, like a reptile sunbathing. He quickly sprang to his beach house, where he was staying, and summoned his younger brother, Invidia. Invidia took one look at the horizon before settling down on the wooden floor of the pier. He was bred, he hated being in the shadow in his older brother. His brother was superior in every way to him, in sports, academics, and everything. Even now, Invidia was in the shadow of Melan.

But beyond the shore, further than any eye could see, water was flying around, wind was blowing but none of this could be felt or seen from shore. Back at shore, something sparked Invidia's attention. Something smaller than a speck arose from the never ending horizon. As soon as Invidia stood up for a clearer view, the wind picked up and everything was moving faster. Wind blew sand, water and trash all over the place. Melan couldn't move. His eyes were transfixed on the cause of the commotion. The tornado. The monster Mother Nature had created. An absolute beat that tore up trees and overturned cars. As the beast came nearer, Invidia had a plan. A sly plan. He swiftly shoved Melan off the pier and after hearing the reassuring slosh, he ran and jumped underneath the pier. After hours of creaking and howling, it was over. The monster was gone.

A month later, at school, home and at the church, everyone said a quiet and mournful 'sorry for your loss.' But that was wasted on Invidia. He didn't really care. Invidia walked over to the beach where his brother spent his last hour on Earth. The water was clear, and the sand was gold, giving off a reflection. Invidia sat down on the shore and started to say, "Big brother, now I can't tell your blood from the water, your flesh from the sand and your bones from the rocks. However, I promise you that even though your days on Earth was shorter than mine, your death would not be in vain. Your demise has given me a new chance in this family, school and world. Thank you."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!