The Dark

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

The howling wind flew and stopped, the trees danced and scratched the windows...it scared little, crying, tiny children as they foolishly thought of that hideous, frighting, disgusting monster that hid under their tiny beds. The moon was invisible behind the dark, fluffy, menacing clouds. ‘Help!’ Thought the children as scary sounds frightened them out of their innocent skins…the dark was the worst thing for the petrified children.
Ryan was 8 years old and was scared of the horrible darkness disturbing him for the whole rough night...in the morning he went to joyful school, but because of his tiring night he unfortunately suffered from restlessness at school. After what seemed endless, school ended as Ryan thought ‘Freed from harsh school!!’ (his opinion). He drearily walked to his joyful home half asleep.
“FINALLY!” He shouted loudly as he gasped for wonderful air. He sighed. Then he got to what seemed hopeless…sleep!
On the awesome weekend Ryan caught up with his extremely nice friends.
“Hi everyone!” He shouted. They got together and laughed and laughed. “Look at my writing!” Boasted Tim. He fabulously wrote, ‘I RAISED MY GLORIOUS BATTLE SWORD AND DEFEATED THE HORRIBLE KING REROUS... WE WERE VICTORIOUS.’ Everyone agreed that it was visually stunning...
“You know, you really should be careful at night.” Said one of Ryan’s friends. “Hey one more thing.” Whispering this time. “There’s monsters under the bed...” Ryan was petrified by this...
“Stop scaring him!” Stella yelled. Barry showed his terrible work, it read, ‘I ATE A1 WATARMALANN.’ No one looked surprised or interested at all.
“MY TURN!” Screamed Benny. ‘GODE MOORNNIG SAD MOSE.’ He probably meant, ““Good morning,” said the moose.’
That peaceful night Ryan couldn’t comfortably sleep. He couldn’t stop thinking about those horrible words: “There’s monsters under the bed.” It disgustedly repeated “There’s monsters under the bed.” And again, and again and again...
“Help, help (gasp!) HELP!” He shouted at the last word. His worried and frighted parents ran as fast as they could.
“WHAT’S GOING ON?” screamed the scared father.
“Huh?” Ryan stupidly asked. After that silly incident Ryan went straight to incredible sleep. His obsolete dream was strange and silly. Everyone walked on their heads, the older you were the younger you get and you always spoke backwards, it was weird to talk forwards for a strict reason. (I don’t even know why?!)
Morning and Ryan was so tried he couldn’t even get out of bed, he couldn’t move, it was impossible! When he finally got out the warm, comfy, cosy bed, he asked his parents.
“Well how about a night light?” suggested the glad mother. It failed, a teddy worked for a couple weeks, worry dolls were a bust but calming music worked! Each time 15 minutes of wonderful calming music calmed his mind. Nothing bothered him at night again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!