Under The Covers

Normal lives
I’m under the covers as a newborn. Cute & cuddly, sweet lullabies to rock me to sleep.

Dirty dreadful lives
I’m under the cardboard as freezing as can be, alone in the dark with crickets & drops of water under the slippery cold bridge.

Normal lives
As a toddler, I’m a pretty princess but a rock chick anyway. I’m Alice Ray Tomson, a beautiful, rocking, honest girl.

Dirty dreadful lives
Crawling on the muddy sloppy graves of my mother & father, cuddling “floppy” (her bunny). I don’t have a name.

Normal lives
Now I’m a teen, rocking at concerts, being me, going to places I’ve never been before & helping others in need.

Dirty dreadful lives
I'm cold & alone, no one to look after me, no one to talk to, alone in the dark.

Normal & dirty dreadful lives
(Alice) As I walk along with the dirty mud, I hear noises ahead as I walk faster to the moaning creature. It was a girl about the same age as me. I kneel down and she shuffles back. “I won't hurt you, I promise”.

(girl) I back away as she comes closer “go away” I scream. I quickly scurry up the ladder. I run in the middle of the road as a car speeds past… Aarrgghh!

I ran towards her as she lay there asleep, alone in the dark forever. I call my mum & run with her on my back yelling out: “help!”

I scream in pain as my legs ache. A person shoves a liquid in my mouth & I fall asleep. As I wake up I'm covered in blankets & pillows. I go to stand up but fall back. I scream in pain as I fall on my knees.

I ran to my room to see the girl on the floor. “Umm are you ok?”

I yell out “Why do you care? You took me away from my parents, you should have left me to die alone in the dark & go to heaven.” Her mum runs up to the room and helps me up & says politely: “Would you like to have a bath & get all that mud off you.”

That's when I realized that I’d love her as a mother. I said: “Can you be my mother from here onwards.” She looked at the other girl & said: “Yes & this is my daughter Alice & she’d love to be your sister.” I cried so much & I was so happy to have a family again. My new mum did love me because of how I am, not how I was.

I found a family that loves me. I found that no matter what happens in the darkest of times there’s always light.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!