Uh oh, yoyo

“Reid, sit down, I know watching the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe at the theatre on cramped seats can get a bit uncomfortable but mum said stay on the couch” scolded my older brother.
“No Joel, I want to show you this yoyo trick” I argued. “Watch this.”
“Uh oh,” my little brother said in that cute little voice. “This doesn’t look good.”
“Oh pollywaffles, what’s the worst that can happen?” I laughed, and began my trick. Almost there… “Darn! I stuffed up.”
“Yeah we can see that, unless you were trying to smash your face with that Yoyo.” teased Joel.
“Ha ha very funny, lets all laugh at Reid.” I said sarcastically. “I’ll get it right this time.” Down, forward, up, back. “See I told you I’d do it.” I teased back proudly. Joel rolled his eyes, Cale clapped. I adjusted the loop on my finger since it was getting sore. “Here I’ll show you again.” The Yoyo spun down, forward, up and… “Hold on, where’d it go?” I said with my face screwed up in a puzzled expression. Then with a gut reeling feeling I realised it had flown over the balcony. I curled up into a ball, placed my head in my hands and screwed my eyes shut. Time seemed to slow dramatically as I waited for the almighty thump that would signify the Yoyo’s landing. What if it hit someone and knocked them out? I thought with that strange sensation in my gut growing worse. It didn’t quite sound as I’d expected. I opened my eyes a slither to see Joel looking over the balcony laughing. “What?” I whispered with that strange sensation feeling no better.
“You’ll never believe it!” Joel exclaimed. “The Yoyo fell into someone’s drink and it spilled everywhere.”
“Sure.” I said, not one bit convinced.
“It’s true, look for yourself.” Joel advised. I peeked over the edge, hoping like heck what Joel said was false, but to my dismay, there, just as Joel had described, a big wet splotch about 3 metres squared was all over the floor. Oh no, what’ll mum say…

The next day, I was back at school. It started off as any normal day until my teacher asked if anyone went to see the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I told him what happened with the Yoyo.
After my recount was complete, Mr Smith said “Well isn’t this a small world, you see, my daughter went to see it also. She had just bought a brand new dress and when she came home she had a coke stain all over it saying a Yoyo landed in her drink and some mean little boy was laughing at her.
I could not believe my ears. What an incredible coincidence. As I talked further with Mr. Smith I was amazed at how different my recount was to his daughter’s. It showed me that everyone’s experiences are truly unique. We all see things in a different way. I will never forget this story and neither will Mr Smith’s daughter, but probably not for the same reasons.



This is a true story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!