Last Wish

The room was clear. Silence filled her territory. Bella’s one and only chance to escape her misery in this revolting hospital. Gently, she tip-toed out of the bed, peering through the door window, trying not to glare at the translucent image of herself. Blonde with light colourless skin with eyes the colour of the serene green blissful nature. Carefully reaching for the polished handle, she began sneaking out of the narrow metal door, hearing it grumble as she left. Her pain from her illness hit her hard, falling dramatically, making a loud slump. Lifting herself, she squinted in pain checking for any nurses to realise what’s Bella is up to. Still, it was surprisingly empty and silent. Usually, nurses would be rushing around for medical supplies and gossiping between each other. But nothing. Maybe her wish has come true? Maybe today is her last day? Bella’s strong thoughts rushed in like a sandstorm wondering if she would make it to the luscious beach that all her generations had grown up on. That was what she was told by her wonderful affectionate parents before they unfortunately passed in a tragic accident. Trying to hide back tears, Bella flew to the exit with more conflicting emotions circling like a tornado. Crossing stairs, slipping through room-to-room Bella finally arrived at the wide ligneous door, gripping firmly on the dull handle, already feeling the exhilarating vibes of the stunning ocean. Opening the gate cautiously, Bella shielded her eyes as the blinding sun surrounding her, shattering the negative mood. Bella felt a flood of eagerness and relief hit her, “I made it” she exhaled “I’m finally out!”
Relieved, Bella smelt the fresh air smiling with delight. Glancing ahead, she heard distant waves through a bustling road. Cool sensations overflowed her as the strong wind forcing the trees to wave as if beckoning her onwards. Unexpectedly, the hospital exits rapidly swung open. Bella gulped. Without realising the hospital alarm screamed.
Suddenly she heard a familiar voice. “Bella?! What are you doing?!” The nurse shouted.
Without a response, she turned and tore her way through the fields of flowers and scattered trees. The loud voices shouting behind, slowly fading away as she ran all the way through the surrounding forest. Abruptly she stopped in her tracks. Her mind disappeared. Shock hit her body like arrows through her heart. The pain smacked her all throughout her frame. Trembling down in formidable pain from her deadly cancer, Bella knew that she could not give up. She must keep going.
Bella’s time was coming, and she had to hurry. She swiftly repeated the sharp words in her mind. “Do this for mum and dad. Do this for mum and dad.” After seemingly never-ending minutes of relentless sprinting, Bella came to a stop, feeling the tiny grains of sand between her toes. Relieved, she knew as she stared into the gleaming sunset. Her wish had come true. Bella was home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!