I can make a difference

I arrived in the United States of America at 9 p.m. This holiday, I decided, was to be the best adventure of my life and I was so heartily confident to make the most of it. Nothing could stop me, and I knew it.
The next day, however, things started to go down hill. As I walked through the stores of New York, people turned their heads around to stare at my scarf and the way I dressed. I was getting a bit irritated and so left the stores, to walk in the streets, hoping there would be a change to that attitude. Soon enough, however, I found out that more people were staring at me, from buses, to taxis and even people staring curiously from their gardens. I felt like I were a magnet to them. Wherever I would turn, their heads would twist.
I felt deeply hurt by most of the people's approach towards me. I felt like there was no equality amongst people and that they might never change, but I was still confident to make a change, no matter how small it was.
The week after, I met a very sweet Esther Jenison, of around my age, seventeen. It didn't matter to me that she was a non-Muslim and it didn't matter to her that I was a Muslim. She was, surprisingly interested in my religion and told e she longed to know about it.
Before I had met her, there had been so many people that called me so many offensive names, the most popular being "hippo", but I did not give up to influence someone on seeing Islam from its real bases and not from people's actions. So when I met Esther, who wasn't so ignorant and had negative views of Muslims, I appreciated her kindness and offered her a chance to learn about Islam.
After a few weeks with her, she happily decided to convert to Islam and I was so happy for her that I almost cried. It was a special moment for me. Her family decided they would convert and so I held little meetings with them where I taught them the basics of Islam. It was really rewarding for me to see that one person could make a difference, no matter how small it may be.
That journey I took was a very special moment for me. It changed my perspective of the whole world. I realized that not all people had such negative attitudes of different religions, especially Islam, a religion derived from the word, "peace". For me, it was not the journey itself that mattered most; it was what I took from it and that is that i can make a difference.

P.S I hope the reader does not find this short story offensive in any way, as it is just a made up story. Thank you.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!