Kayla's closest call!

My Closet Call!


Kayla Newton looked up with a smile. Her mother was letting her go into the most dangerous sport ever: Steeplechasing. Where 24 or less riders and horses gallop full blast down a rocky track.
“Thank you mum!” Kayla cried.
“You’re welcome,” Mrs Newton replied, “Go to bed”.
“Yes mum,” Kayla smiled. The race was the next day.

Sunlight streamed through half closed vernation blinds.
“Hmmm?” Kayla rolled over and looked at her alarm clock. It was 5:30 in the morning, “What!”
Kayla flew out of bed. Now she only had one our of warm ups at the racetrack. Dancer needed 3 hours to be her best. Diamond Dancer was Kayla’s Thoughbred. Her mother was Makybe Diva and her father was Northerly. Dancer was one fast horse.
Kayla pulled on her jockey silks and ran down stairs.
“Good Morning my 15year old jockey,” Mrs Newton cooed.
“Mum, I don’t mean to be disrespectful but cut the talk!” Kayla cried in aguish.

“WE HAVE SOME PRIME THOUGHBREDS HERE TODAY FOLKS!” An announcer screamed into a microphone, “NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE WORLD’S YOUNGEST OFFICAL JOCKEY. AT THE AGE OF FIFTEEN, KAYLA NEWTON AND HER HORSE DIAMOND DANCER WILL BE RACING TODAY”.
“It’s Diamond Dancer you idiot!” Kayla muttered
She moved Dancer into gate No.1. The crowd screamed and cheered. Dancer threw her head up in fear. She hated loud crowds.
One by one all of the 24 horses and riders were called out.
“COULD ALL RIDERS PERPARE FOR THE GUN FIRE!” The announcer said excitedly.

“AND THEY’RE IN THE GATES!!!” the announcer bellowed.
The gun fired: BANG!
“ AND THEY’RE OFF!!!!” the announcer cried, “IT’S GOLDERN DRAGON IN THE LEAD CLOSELY FOLLOWED BY NIGHT WIND AND THEN IT’S DANCER DIAMOND!!!!”.
Kayla heard Dancer’s name and place. Doge left……doge right……JUMP!
Kayla’s heart pounded as Dancer flew over jump no.1. Dancer snuck up on Night Wind and then passed Dragon.
“I DON’T BELIVE IT FOLKS! THE YOUNG JOCKEYS IN THE LEAD!” the announcer hollered in surprised.
“What? You surprised?” Kayla muttered under her breath with a laugh.
There was only one more jump left.
“Hiya!” Kayla slapped Dancer’s rump.
They flew over the jump gracefully.
“Ofgh !” Kayla muttered.
Dancer suddenly stumbled.
“WOAH!” Kayla yelped as she flew off Dancer’s back. Luckily she wasn’t hurt. Kayla climbed back on and regained first place.
“YEEHAAH!” Kayla yelled as she crossed the line first.

“So Kayla Newton, How does it feel to almost miss out on the cup?” a news reporter asked.
“Well it was my closest call,” Kayla replied happily.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!