Hands Of Fire

There are many places in the world where people find solidarity. The Earth houses sanctuaries that hold sentimental places in our hearts. For some, it may be a nearby home, a playground or even a museum. It is a place where we are not judged for our peculiarities. It is a place where we can just be ourselves. While many of us may be able to experience the love for their sanctuary, that was not the case for Alyssa Bloom. Born with hands of fire, her presence in the world had always been sheltered. Her entire existence was dependent on her magical abilities. Since she could remember she had been imprisoned in the basement of her home, feared by cruel people who thought of her gift as demonic. The fear in their hearts succumbed to the evil inside of them. Her parents hid Alyssa away, and she was forced to spend her life hidden in the shadows, locked away from humanity and love. Nothing was more heartbreaking than being thought of as a beast since birth. As time grew on, Alyssa’s powers ceased to amaze her and she grew more powerful while remaining in the darkness of the basement. Her nurturing demeanor was often displayed through her flames. The control she had over her expediential power was miraculous. Nothing else compared to the passion and bond between them, for fire was Alyssa’s only friend. Company could be anywhere as long as her flame shone brightly through the sky. And while she didn’t know it yet, Alyssa would soon take part in a minacious endeavour which would answer all of her burning questions…

"The loneliest moment of someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

This quote narrates the simple complexity of my life. For my whole existence I was forced to follow the saying, "everything happens for a reason". Was I given these abilities to be imprisoned against my will? Was I kept locked away to protect the ones I loved? What was my reason for living? These questions might never be answered yet I pondered them day and night. Miracle or curse, my power grew stronger each and every day. While many can venture out of their comforting homes, hug and kiss their parents or even be loved, I could never imagine a life outside of my basement walls. All hope of a normal life had been chased out of me, and I had forfeited to the cruel reality of my existing life. But sometimes, I would find a glimmer of longing for the outside world, and I would think that maybe this life hidden behind the walls wasn't my destiny.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!