Farewell Smaug

Esgaroth in ruins! The Master of Lake town panicked and out of business! But why do heads turn towards Esgaroth in eagerness? Because, the terrorising, greedy dragon who once occupied Lonely Mountain, Smaug, has perished! Slain by the heroic Bard, a descendant of Girion of Dale, his body now lies where Esgaroth once thrived.

A sudden attack from Smaug was sprung on the poor souls of Esgaroth yesterday. Smaug burnt the whole town with his wicked flames, viciously destroying lives. Miraculously, the brave archer Bard stood against the beast, with his son Bain at his side. They were a ray of hope in the face of death and destruction. There was, until now, an unknown weak spot on Smaug’s chest - his only weakness. Bard took his aim and shot the legendary Black Arrow into his chest, exactly where the vulnerable region was. Smaug flew higher and higher into the air, only to die midair and fall back onto the already blemished town. He landed on the Master of Lake town whom in an act of cowardice, was attempting to flee the burning city which he once ruled. Astonishingly, he survived, but was hastily replaced with Bard the Bowman, the new hero.

The people of Esgaroth, led by Bard, are currently salvaging anything they can from the wreckage of their once harmonious village and mourning the fallen. They’re planning to travel somewhere where they will find shelter and rebuild their home.
“He used his son to steady his arrow,” claimed a witness and added, “Just think of what could’ve gone wrong if he wasn’t a skilled bowman…”
“Smaug’s roar was terrifying,” claimed another. “But he could’ve killed Bard at least twenty times if he hadn't instead decided to taunt the archer!" "Foolish beast!" a villager commented.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!