The Golden Egg

Excellence Award in the 'Play On Words 2021' competition

One day I saw a button, yep a button, just there, so obviously I pressed it and it opened a creepy passage which led to a bunker. Out of the corner of my inquisitive eye, I saw a scaly red dragon. It was sleeping, so I crept past it and found an old, antique treasure chest. I decided to look inside, but just when I was opening the lid I heard a growl, so I jumped inside and slammed the heavy lid shut. “RurrRR”, I heard a rumbling sound and the temperature began to rise.

Initially it was as dark as the sky on a stormy night in the chest, but as my eyes adjusted I became aware of a faint glow in the far corner. It was very cramped, but I managed to crawl over towards the light. To my amazement there was a golden egg glowing in the darkness. As I picked it up, it split open. I couldn't believe what was inside! There was a baby dragon, holding a dragon shaped key in it’s tiny jaw. It was at this moment that I realised that the temperature had risen to an unbearable level and I needed to get out.

Everything had gone quiet, so I slowly opened the heavy lid. I couldn’t believe what was outside. The chest was perched precariously on the tippity top of a volcanic rim with 3 ferocious dragons circling overhead. It now made sense why it had been so hot in the chest, as the volcano was spitting fireballs into the air and exploding everywhere. I had to get out.

It was at this moment that I caught the dragons’ attention. As they swooped down, I grabbed the baby dragon, leapt out of the chest and raced down into a mushroom forest, which effectively blocked the dragons’ attack. It was a strange place and eerily quiet after the roar of the volcano and it felt as damp as my socks after a long run. I trotted 20 miles until I reached a clearing and in the centre stood a tall, grey tower. I was disappointed to find that the door was locked. As I turned to leave, the baby dragon started to screech and it was then that I remembered the baby dragon had a key. Amazingly it fitted perfectly and the rusty lock turned with a loud click.

Cautiously I entered the tower and was alarmed when the door slammed shut behind me. It was dark and I was scared, but I decided to look around. I found the staircase and walked up to the top of the tower and was startled to see a dragon. I froze with fear. But this dragon was friendly and he said “Thank you for reuniting me with my son. For that I will teleport you back, but under one condition, that you will give me that key of yours”. So I did, and was teleported back home safely. What an adventure!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!