The Mountain Climb

Excellence Award in the 'Play On Words 2021' competition

Climbing the mountain my feet slip as rocks move from under my small feet. I look around at the thick mist that surrounds me. It finds its way into my mouth and a taste of coldness floods my throat. I clench onto the sharp rocks as my eyes fall down the mountain. I realize that I am only half way up.


I keep climbing until I can't go any further. My legs are aching and sweat pours from my forehead, but I can't give up. This is my one chance to prove to the wildlife rescue team that I can save this panda. I won’t fail my mission. But as soon as I said that to myself I tripped on the rocky ground beneath me.

Shakily I reach for my orange backpack. I unzip the bag as carefully as I can, trying not to increase the pain. My hands are numb. I pull out my yellow woolen gloves and slide them onto my hands. I hesitantly stand up using a rock to boost me.

I put on my blue puffy coat over my cold and skinny arms to warm up. My long blonde hair blows in the wind. I strangle it into a bun and keep going up the narrow path.

A little while later my blue eyes catch a glimpse of the sun setting in the distance.That's my cue to set up camp.

Once the camp is set, I snuggle into my small red tent and make myself a blanket cocoon. As I drift off to sleep a viscous growl fills the silence. I hug myself in fear and close my eyes.

In the morning my eyes pop open ready for the day ahead. I crawl out of the tent and a ray of sunlight soothes my skin. But I find myself looking at a total disaster. My food supplies and first aid kit are ruined. Suddenly something flinches behind me. I feel goosebumps run up my back.

I turn around and a massive snow leopard is standing in front of me, his jaw opens and I see his teeth glaring at me. The snow leopard's huge paw reaches for me. I try to run but it was too late. Stumbling backwards I lose my balance and begin falling down the mountain, I close my eyes and ready myself for the impact.

When I wake up, I am hurtling through the sky in a helicopter. I try to move but I am strapped to a stretcher. A lady in a white jacket and green glasses asks me what happened. All I know is that I failed my mission.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!