The Hidden Light

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
Another day, Jean-Pierre Polnareff wakes up to face the truth. He looks to the left of his bed and drags the covers off, just to find no one there. It had been 2 days since the incident. Jean gets out of bed to get himself prepared for the day's expectations.
"What is this life."


Jean flops onto the couch while sipping his coffee. Looking over the shelf he sees countless images of them together. He reaches over to look at the best day of his life. The picture shows Jean wearing a very expensive and fancy suit. Then he sees her face, smiling brightly like there was no care in the world. Holding that bouquet with such a great smile. Jean reaches to grab another picture but doesn't grab the picture. He's on the verge of tears. He can't go and grab another picture. So he simply gets up and gets ready to get to work.

It was his first time returning to work since the incident. He could feel the grieving all around him. She was always friendly with the employees and everyone loved her so much. No one came up to him because they all knew he didn’t want to see anyone right now. Especially not someone she was friends with. It would only make him hurt more. When he made it to his office he realised that everything around him was from her because she thought his office was too boring and needed to be more “homey”. He couldn’t take it anymore so he ran out of his office with tears flowing down his face and the sympathetic gazes of his employees.

He dashes straight to the cemetery. Frantically looking from side to side just looking for the grave that spelled Isabella Polnareff. After finding it he finally calmed down and sat there on the grave. He felt somewhat at peace now finding it.
"Remember that bracelet you gave me? The one with the big heart on it? I still haven't taken it off since the day you gave it to me. I miss you."
The bracelet slipped off his wrist, and the heart cracked.
"Hey, you ok?" a hidden male voice appeared.
"Who's there?"
"Oh it's me, did you forget your best friend or something...wait, can't really blame you right now can I?"
"What do you think, Avdol."
"If they were still here I would never have let them go on another business trip or any trip for that matter."
Avdol comes to give Polnareff a hug from behind which meant things are going to better. All everyone could do is hope for that to be true.

A dark brown coloured van pulls up to the graveyard. A woman emerges from the back in a wheelchair. She creeps up behind Jean and hugs him from the wheelchair. Polnareff slowly turns around to burst into tears.
"ISABELLA"
He drops to his knees in excitement, unable to contain himself and just barely manages to hug her.
"Calm down, calm down, wait why are we at a funeral? Who died?"
"..."
She looks to see "Isabella Polnareff" on the headstone.
"HOLD ON, WHY IS MY NAME ON A HEADSTONE???!!!, wait this also means, YOU THINK I DIED??!!"
"Well yeah"
"I told our daughter though since she came with me on the business trip," she looks to Holly. "You sent an e-mail, right?"
Holly emerges from the van. "An e-mail....?"
Isabella looks at Holly with such a disappointed look it would make lions tremble.
"I'M SORRY I FORGOT!"
"IF I WEREN'T IN THIS WHEELCHAIR YOU WOULD BE SO SORRY!!"
Polnareff is left smiling and crying tears of happiness, with Avdol there to calm him down.

The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!