Loss

As I wake up I’m watching the time pass slowly. I hear the yelling and only wish it would end. I got ready for school like any normal day except it wasn’t. I walked down to eat my breakfast silently, it was all quiet, Dad turned on the tv to avoid talking. The mayor was at an urgent press conference with the news. Mum and Dad were intrigued to watch but I didn’t give it a thought. I tried to say goodbye to my parents for school but I was stopped by my mum, she said there was some sort of virus going around.

I facetime my best and only friend Jace. I raced to ask him if he's heard of the virus since the news and he replied “yeah I'm alright”. Jace has Cystic Fibrosis and if he gets really sick he could die. Me and Jace go to the same school and live in the same neighbourhood, we both play NRL And we go for Penrith Panthers. Being at his house or at school I feel safe and can actually have fun. Jace doesn't like coming over to my house because my parents fight and yell most of the time.

Once again right before dinner they are fighting again, but it is not what I expected because normally they would stop around me. I asked them if they were ok and they ignored me. I ended up eating dinner in my room but at least it was better than being around fighting. The next day I went to Jace’s house for the first time before the virus but it was different from normal i had to wear a mask and sanitise twice. When I got home my parents looked sad. They were getting a divorce and were asking who I'd like to stay with.

I rushed up to my room and tried facetiming Jace, no answer tried again, no answer. I knew something was up. I thought he was probably sleeping and I should try again in a couple of days. A couple days passed and I called again and I got an answer but it was his parents and not him. I asked “what are you doing here? Where's Jace?” They went on to tell me that he got the virus and had passed. I was devastated. My best and only friend is dead.

The virus has been affecting my mental health badly. I currently cannot go to school and Jace’s funeral is going to be over zoom, It's just not the same not being able to see him. I feel like some days I feel happy that he's not around to experience all the bad things in life, but I wish he was here.

My Mother and I are not going so well without dad. I currently cannot stay with him because he moved towns and we are not allowed to travel. Sometimes I wish I could do anything to have my parents together and hang out with Jace again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!