Story Of New South Wales

As the sun awakened, trepidation and anxiety ran through my veins. Alighting from the First Fleet, the sergeant ordered us to gather the materials necessary to build this new colony. Though we had just arrived after months of travel at sea, the convicts trudged into the bush to collect branches for shelter. Hauling large armfuls of branches, we followed our sergeant to some flat land.
The next day, we spotted some natives near the colony. With obsidian skin, fairly friendly as they danced passionately around a fire. Obedient, our sergeant reported the sight to Arthur Phillip and was asked to explore even further. Continuing our journey, I wondered what mysteries lurked in this hostile land. As we returned onward, my guard and I spotted several creatures among the shrubs, one of which resembled an enormous, energetic and elongated rabbit. Its tail imitated the roots of a tree and it bounded like a stone across water.
As we stared in awe at the colossal creature, my sergeant was suddenly bitten by a silent, slithering, scintillating snake. Immediately, he toppled over like a felled tree and I knew death had claimed its latest victim.
Now, lost in the forest without food or water, helplessness overwhelmed me and darkness crept in at the edges of my vision. When I woke up, I was lying on a straw mat next to a waterhole. As I emerged into the sunlight, I saw gum trees that surrounded the village and was fed water and fresh fish by some of the indigenous women.
Soon, I learned the stories and languages of the native culture. This was my story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!