Roamault’s Rider

We’re here, we never left. We've colonised every continent, country and major city on planet Earth, though humans don’t notice. A hundred years ago you thought us lost after the Spanish Flu. Nearly all Pluntarians were killed. Few survived, the Great Fourteen one which was the Most Honourable. These were Pluntarye’s founders, our ancestors, they made Pluntarye, well, Pluntarye.
Seven tribes make up Pluntarye, one per continent, Grephisen, Baldgale, Kanerow, Huemuleer, Pinguinare, Blaparro and royalty Roamault.
Since “disappearing” we’ve held a national tournament called Grande Corsa (Grand Race). The Great Fourteen founded it soon after they separated the tribes, to be a reminder that, though small, we’re a strong people. The Grande Corsa is held every decade and is the biggest event in Pluntarye. All tribes select a Rider to represent them in the tournament. The Grande Corsa is a race around the world. Riders fly through every country and collect their designated flags. The Rider that crosses the line first wins the title Conqueror, one thousand Krine and their tribe’s right to host the tournament next. Tribes hold qualifying races in between tournaments as Riders need intense training.
I’m Rinka, a proud descendant of the Most Honourable, tribe of Roamault, seven years old. I’m trialling for Roamault’s Rider. One problem, Riders must be eight or over to trial and I don’t fit that bill. Simple solution, I snuck into trials. Everyone trialled until it was me. All Riders must own a pet to compete. Nobody since the Most Honourable has owned a bird before, except me. I own Solstice, a Bar-Tailed Godwit. She is a migratory bird, perfect for the tournament. Here I am riding a bird, not a dragonfly or bee, Solstice. I was chosen even though I’m too young! My training and performance amazed everyone. I’m Roamault’s Rider!
Ok, five years ago I did not realise how scary being underage for Grande Corsa would be. Apparently, the other tribes are not at peace with Roamault and I want to know why. All the other tribes loathe both Roamault and I. When I heard that Roamault does not let other tribes use underage Riders, I felt so bad that I offered not to race. Coach wouldn’t have a bar of it though “Are you crazy!?”
BANG! We’re off, and I’m way ahead of everyone. My heart is not in it, I feel too bad. Then an idea changes everything, I am back in it constantly snatching flags. Flying through counties, Brazil, Cuba, France. I am at Grephisen, I can see the finish line. I cross it first riding on Solstice.
I decide to keep a seventh of my Krine and give the rest to the other Riders. They are shocked and delighted. As I receive my prize, I apologise for the ongoing wrongdoing of Roamault. In an instant everyone is cheering and carrying me on their shoulders. Solstice and I have become legends.
Pluntarye is a strong, brave and now united people. And me? I am Roamault’s Rider.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!