Returning The Clock

The rain fell fast and heavy as I wandered along the street. The enormous clock I carried on my back in a thin sack was just starting to chime when I saw him. A long thin figure draped in a black cloak, wand in hand. I nodded to him and we walked toward the shabby pub. We got some odd stares as we made our way to the storage room door. Dust filled the air as Dan, my fellow magician, slowly turned the door handle. I adjusted the clock on my back and held up my own wand. The door creaked open and… It was empty. Just layers of dust and a couple of crates. But then I saw it, another door in the far corner of the room. Being very careful not to disturb the dust, as I knew Dan was severely allergic, I motioned for him to follow me and slowly crept towards the door. I kicked it open and what I saw next was unbelievable, a whole city, a whole underwater city! I stepped forward onto a glass platform, a magic bubble protecting it from the water. A gigantic turtle swam through the water below me. I turned to Dan and saw he was just as flabbergasted as me. I stared at the turtle and noticed it had a saddle on.
“Jane! It’s getting closer” Dan said, alarmed.
“I know, see that saddle. I think we’re supposed to ride on it. Maybe it’ll take us to the other side of the city. I mean, that’s where we’re trying to go…” I tried to sound sure of myself and failed like always. The turtle was now so close I could reach out and touch it, and that’s exactly what I did. I slid through the bubble and hopped onto the turtle’s back, wondering how I was going to breathe. The turtle took off, leaving Dan standing there bewildered. I tried to stop or turn around, but the turtle seemed oblivious to me entirely.
Just as I thought it was best Dan was left behind because otherwise both of us would have drowned, I realised I had reached another platform on the other side of the city. Twenty seconds later Dan was standing next to me, also wet and gasping.
“Well at least we are where we want to be, now we return this clock and stop this time travelling business.” I said, and that’s exactly what we did. There was an indent in the wall the perfect size for the clock. I hoped the owners would collect it soon, as it was too dangerous to be left alone for too long. We returned to the other platform by turtle, then exited the pub and went our separate ways. Sadly, I never saw Dan again but the memories of that fantastic adventure are always with me, and I wonder when my next one will begin. In the meantime, I’m happy looking after my son, whom I named Dan.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!