The Hacker

Klick klack, tappity tap. Her fingers darted lightly across the keyboard like a pack of wolves, intent on hunting. Her sharp eyes focused on the bright screen in front of her that contrasted with the dark room.
Perfect, she thought with a smile, as she finally found what she was looking for. A few more taps on the keyboard and her master plan was beginning to unfold…

On the upper floors of a high-rise office building, a rather bored looking executive read the daily newspaper while drinking coffee. “I do rather miss having colleagues,” he mused, “but they are just one of the many sacrifices one must make when you are this high up in the industry.”
Taking a sip of his coffee, he turned the page. Cyber attack on Newhill City Council,… Burglars in the shopping mall.. a policeman got saved by a dog.. All rather boring, he thought, and proceeded to turn the next page.

Outside, a nervous-looking intern glanced at the ceiling, wondering how to tell Mr Redbo. "Oh he’s not gonna like it, oh no, how am I going to break the news to him?" A text from his mate down at security showed up on his smartphone, flashing the words 'you’ve got this mate' and a thumbs up emoji. "Ha," Bobby thought. "Easy for Phil to say. All he had to do was recognize the malware on the server. I’m the one who has to break the news to Mr Redbo..."

Adrielle looked at the warning on her computer screen.
- Allow access? Press enter to continue. -
“Ha! This is too easy,” Adrielle said smugly as her program that so effectively allowed her to control the computers in Newhill City Council gave her access to the files of the largest company in the state. 'Redbo Co. is going to have a bad day today..' Adrielle thought with a smile. 'Just wait ‘til they realise my threat was real… Mr Redbo is not going to be happy,' she said, and grinned evilly.

Bobby took a breath, and knocked on the door. “Mr Redbo?”
“Enter,” came a deep voice.
Bobby pushed the door open and stepped inside the room. “Sir? Um.. Phil at security said to tell you that, um..”
“What?” Mr Redbo looked up from his desk and crossed his arms.
“Um..” Bobby looked at his feet. “There’s some malware on the company server. Phil said it looks like a multipartite virus, but he’s not sure. He just wanted to let you know.”

“Huh,” Mr Redbo said. “Thank you for informing me. You may leave.”
Bobby turned around and exited the room and breathed a sigh of relief. He looked down at his smartphone and texted back to Phil 'all good. he didn’t kill me! :)'

'why would he?' texted Phil. 'here at rebo co we believe in don’t shoot the messenger.'

Bobby laughed at Phil’s rendition of the companies slogan. I’m glad to have him as a friend, Bobby thought as he headed to the elevator.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!