The Living Dead

Wake up, brush your teeth, eat breakfast, work, watch TV and sleep. Wake up, repeat, repeat and repeat. I remember the children having fun at the playground and the senior citizen going for their daily walks. It’s just hard to believe, that I might never see those moments again. I never thought I would live to be in an actual horror movie. It’s hard to survive out here, I mean the places where I went and had fun are danger zones to me now, because of the fallen. I am in a place of confusion, should I fear, or should I fight the living dead.

My name is James Parkers and for the past few months I’ve been living in an actual zombie apocalypse. It’s been a while since I’ve seen or heard of a human other than myself. The only weapons I have to defend myself is a revolver and a baseball bat. I only get out of my house to collect supplies. I don’t dare raid other places because the fallen(zombies) might sense me. Right now, I’m driving my car back to my house. I am thinking of my goal, to survive no matter what. I also remember the old days, before this all began. I engulfed into a fountain of tears making my eyes blurry, then…BANG!!

“AHHHH!” I shouted, “Oh the pain.” I felt as if my whole life just flashed before my eyes. I checked myself, I was alive, only by a thread. My stomach was heavily bleeding. That’s when I found my backpack, that contained my gun. My bat wasn’t in sight. As I was about to pick the backpack, a dog ran past and swiped it.

“NO! GET OVER HERE!” I shouted, “that bag had my gun!” With all the strength left in me I started to pursue the dog. I limped through the forest, but it was risky. I climbed through logs and hills until I found the dog stuck in a bear trap. Next to him was no backpack but my revolver and only TWO bullets.
Yup, I’m dead, I thought. Just then I heard bushes rustling nearby. Fallen were coming. I had no intention on shooting them because believe it or not those zombies were once human beings. I freed the dog and fled.

The night had finally arrived. I decided to camp at a nearby cave. As for my wound I stitched it by using the zip of my leather jacket, but still I felt it. I knew I was going to die. Suddenly, the same dog limped its way towards me.

“YOU! Because of you I’m going to die!” I shouted, “but you know what it’s good to have company, I just can’t believe that the times I got bullied or when I was in financial troubles were actually considered as problems. I just wish if everything was…” And just like that I fainted. During my unconsciousness I heard a voice. Was I saved?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!