Miracle

The light pierced through the barrier of her closed eyes disturbing the blissful obliviousness of the medically induced sleep. She could hear the clatter of metal and the steady beeping of a machine. Her mind tried to grasp the voices that came as receding waves but each time she caught a word her world paused on that. Lucky…fall…survive, her heart sank at the last word. How did she – hadn’t she acquiesced to her fears, letting that last string of hope fade? She knew someone would find her but hadn’t expected to be saved. She felt a light throbbing rise at the back of her head and soon it shot towards her chest. Pain was not merciful, it delighted in a twisted sense of satisfaction, barely touching her heart yet brushing its nails past it leaving trails of burning in its wake. Dwelling deeper and deeper into anguish’s embrace, she could hear the distant chatter of surgeons become focused, the clatter of their scalpels become hurried, the groaning of the machine become urgent. The external sounds and internal pain seemed to form a perfect orchestra each trying to overdo the other, until it became an unbearable cacophony before a blanket of stillness enveloped her. No beeping, no clatter, no voices and no pain.
Ready to go?
She opened her eyes and saw a pale man in a black tuxedo standing before her, she wasn’t on the operation table anymore. Rather she was left glancing between the man and herself lying on the table surrounded by doctors.
Wh-who are you?
At least you have the decency to ask. You’re an easy assignment. Not like that wailing teen from Texas or that wise grandma who never stopped spewing wisdom. I’m DRG but the r & g are interchanged when said, so, Dr. grim reaper not reaper grim.
I’m dead?
Yes, he paused, Now let’s see… he pulled out a notepad made of skin and scrolled through the pages.
Ah! Here!
Kaira Silverstone
Age 17
Student
Aspiring writer
Cause of death: falling off 3rd floor
‘I didn’t fall!’ she hesitated, ‘I -I meant to fall.’
Death shook his head, ‘You acted on impulse if you had lived and followed your dreams, you would have become a dream for others. Watch what you missed’
Her future flashed before her eyes, her publishing her book, attending fan signs, marrying Agust! He became a singer; she wrote songs and he became the voice to her words. She opened old age homes, animal shelters and had twins; she did look happy.
‘Life had ups and downs, but lower the downs higher the ups. All you needed was courage.’ He said, ‘any last wish?’
You’ve shown the artist its muse, the least you could do is give me the canvas to paint this into reality.
Death smiled at her before it breathed life into her, as she took her first breath of determination, she heard the doctor yell, ‘She came back to life. MIRACLE!’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!