Athletics Day

In this short story I'll walk through my day, starting at 7:40am where a nervous me once lay...
My Google Home wakes me on cue. I slip on my clothes and hop down the stairs, there's a warm and calm feeling all through the air. I make my lunch with all kinds of delights, like cupcakes and pears that are perfectly ripe. My dad cooks my toast with peanut butter galore. My mum heads to work and dad gives me a big hug, I then head to school feeling all nice and snug!

I arrive a bit late by a minute or two and sit on the floor with all of my crew. As the clock ticks my heart follows, steady in pace but all nervous and shallow. Next thing I know we’re all on the bus and I sit next to Kevin who’s a friend that I trust. We have a small chat and play a game of cards, with the athletics track within a few yards...

Cut to the chase, 100-metre race. All the year 5 boys are put in small heats; I end up with Jaden who’s quick on his feet. The sound of the siren makes me suddenly shake and I make a small tumble sending me to last place. As if dunked in water, I snap back awake, I slither past Ethan like a small cunning snake. I used my speed and outrun the rest, but Jaden was too quick and he did the best. I end up second place in a climatic way, but little did I know that wasn’t my last ribbon that day...

800 meters followed and my heat was okay, Cooper the Trooper and Bailey the Brave. Phillip too, but need we go on!? With my heart in my smile, I take the first place, but little did I know that I wouldn’t just crush this race…

We wait in the cold shivering and frowning and slowly by slowly my hopes begin drowning. The time finally comes, and we’re put on the track, the sound of the siren lets out a crack. I use half of my speed to catch up with Bailey, his breaths are heavy, and I hatch a small scheme. I notice he’s tired after a quarter of a lap, so I forcefully run harder to form a small trap. Seeing my speed, his pace increases whilst unknown to him his energy slowly decreases. My plan worked and he slowed down a tonne with not much energy to keep up his run. I crossed the finish line first for three laps whilst Albert conserved energy close to the back. With 200 metres to go my hopes were so high when Albert quickly catches my eye. He’s running so fast, overtaking the rest when he’s just behind me and a cramp forms in my chest. He sprinted to the end and beats me by an inch, yet I am still happy for second place, I don’t even flinch!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!