The Lost Spear Of Fire

Excellence Award in the 'Play On Words 2021' competition

Deep inside the heart of Victoria, two tiny babies wrapped in ragged potato sacks, shivered in the ruthless cold which seemed determined to rob the entire world of all warmth. Desperately, the babies' poor mother wept as she placed her children on an orphanage's doorstep, hoping they would save her children from famine.

Ten years have passed. Festus and Jill, who were found on the orphanage’s doorsteps, came to realise that the woman who ran the orphanage, Mrs Magnificent, was a witch!

As the obsidian blanket of night covered the sky, Festus heard the noise of creaking and rushed out of bed. He scurried down the hall and noticed the noise was coming from the abandoned door.

Curiously, he heard that Mrs Magnificent was talking to a malevolent wizard.
"My lady, I have done what you asked,"explained the wizard.
"Hmmm, is it really the spear of fire?” bellowed Mrs Magnificent.

Carefully, Festus thought to himself, this spear must be vital. Stunned, he watched in awe as she turned into fire, her flames licking the air like hands reaching to heaven.

Eventually, the fire died down and Mrs Magnificent resembled a freshly-picked tomato.
Confused, Festus only knew that he was in danger as he tip-toed rapidly back to his room so Mrs Magnificent wouldn't grow suspicious.

At the break of dawn, Festus told Jill what had happened the night before. Tears streaked down Jill's cheeks as she cried, "I can't stand losing you." Gently, he hugged her like a vine around a tree.

"Help me dear!" screeched a voice from the wooden door. Swiftly, Festus approached the door. In a flash, he found himself in an unfamiliar forest filled with emerald trees and fluorescent flowers that perfumed the air with their saccharin scent.

" We are fire fairies , who are you? "questioned the curious creature to Festus.
" I ...I'm Festus, I live with Mrs Magnificent and my sister, Jill." Festus replied.
"This Mrs Magnificent you say actually is Krontos, an evil sorcerer. Our fire hunters were using the spear of fire to defeat her.” the fairy explained, handing a spear to Festus. She detailed how the fire hunters had been enchanted by Krontos, and how Festus could retrieve them.

Boom! Suddenly, smoke filled the air. Smirking, Krontos appeared with her army of fire hunters.
"Festus! Stop Kontos! Use the spear!" a chorus of voices shouted. Although Festus didn't know how to fight, he could talk.
'`Hunters, look what you've done to your homes!' Festus cried, pointing at the broken houses.
The hunters reacted, turning to face Krontos instead like a changing tide.
"Ha Ha! you can't stop me!" laughed Krontos as she tried to blast Festus, who used the spear to defend himself.
"No! It can't be the spear!" Krontos looked aghast, swiftly, the fire hunters and Festus stabbed Krontos. Screaming, Krontos dissolved like a pool of acid. Festus found himself back home. He couldn't wait to tell Jill that they didn't have to see Mrs Magnificent ever again!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!